Thirteen

He was still there when I woke up a couple hours later, sitting squished into the end of the couch because I was taking up the rest of it. He had his feet up on the coffee table, in blue socks, eating shredded chicken with sour cream and tortilla chips. The house smelled wonderful. I was starving. 

"Still here," I said, smiling though it hurt like a bitch.

He almost spilled his plate, and set it on the table, turning to me. I put my arm over my face. "How are you, chérie? Of course I'm still here."

"Wouldn't turn down some meds," I admitted. He jumped up to get them, clad in black pants with a torn knee and a v-neck white t shirt. I was astounded at how much I hurt. I wished I had Remy there tied to a chair so I could beat her with a length of pipe and set her on fire, not something I joked about lightly.

"I'm still here too, " Bella said from the kitchen. She came into the living room, wiping her hands. "But since loverboy here has promised to remain for at least a week, I'm going back home. Pretty sure I left my milk out, not that it matters now."

I noticed Reed come out of the bathroom, but my head was still wrapped around "at least a week". "Really?"

"Yeah, on the counter."

"I think she means--" he began, handing me the pills and water.

"I know what she means," she cut him off. "So you better really stay at least a week." She got her purse and regarded me. "I won't hug you, you might break."

"I'm unbreakable, thanks," I said as haughtily as I could.

"I know you are," she said, and put her hand on the top of my head for a moment. "Je t'aime," she said. "Be careful, for the love of God. I put some food in to heat up, he can get it for you in a minute." She pointed at Reed. "You'd better take care of this whole thing, Reed. I mean it."

"I already have," he said, sitting back down and picking his plate up. "I had her committed to an institution for the criminally insane," he added offhandedly, scooping up chicken with a chip. "Obviously involuntarily."

We both stared at him, she to see if he was serious, I because I could tell he was. "That's so awesome," I said happily. "Haha, seriously, that's the best thing ever."

Bella looked at me. "He really did?"

"I really did," he said, shrugging. "I know some people."

"I'm not often wrong about people," Bella began as the microwave dinged. "And I'm not saying I have been about you. I don't like your disappearing shit, but I think you don't like it either. And you love Heidi, that much is obvious."

He looked at me. I was blushing."Tu as tellement raison." You are so right.

"Ouais enfin," she said, which was only fancy talk for yeah, well. "I rest my case. If you break her heart I'll take yours out. Shit, what am I saying; you do it all the time."

"Bye, Bells," I said, my cheeks and insides still warm from all the love talk. "Thank you for coming, for cleaning up, everything."

She waved and gave Reed a stern look and let herself out. 

He got up again and locked the door and set the alarm, then went into the kitchen for my food. I sat up while he was gone. It was a little easier with the meds kicking in. I also had to pee but it could definitely wait until they started working more.

"Any better?" He sat back down carefully and put a pillow on my lap, then balanced the plate on top. "It's hot. Here, I could just . . . " He picked up a forkful of chicken.