Chapter Fifteen

Something about Maggie's words continued to bug her, even as she made her way home. Nikola had been emotionally and mentally abused by her mother. She made sure to add it to her report, since it seemed to be becoming a trend. As far as she was concerned.

  She needed to tell Isaac that she thought Amirah would be next, but he seemed to think the same thing. Telling her he would be right on it, if Amirah agreed to the protection detail.

  "May!" Sean shouted as she walked up the staircase to her apartment, arms crossed over his chest. She hoped he hadn't been waiting long.

  "Sean?" she asked pausing her hand still in her handbag, she had been fishing for her keys. When she wasn't working a case, aka; finishing her evil paperwork. Sean would come over on the weekends, brining over snacks, DVDs and gossip. He was as bad as Ellie-Mai and Rihanna when it came to gossip, yet; he never told anyone that she was back. "What are you doing here? You never come over when I work."

  "Because your such a worry wart," he reminded her.

  May had to agree with him. If it wasn't for the case that this one didn't have a chance of a mob member kidnapping her friends, to use as bet to get her to hand information over. Then she would have made him go home, for his own safety of course. "Guilty as charge."

  "I brought season one of Grimm."

  "That's that cop show you brought up last time? Like Miss Fisher?"

  "It is. More fantasy then historical."

  "As long as it isn't just crime. Don't need to watch a show about my job."

  Sean smiled at her as she fished her house keys out of her bag. Allowing him to enter first before locking up, it wasn't like she lived in the best neighbourhood and it was better to play safe then sorry.

  "I hope you weren't waiting long," May admitted looking at her near bare pantry. She was going to have to order in, ad then put some time aside to the grocery store. Or a market, markets usually ran when she had days off. "And don't mind having Indian. It's the only thing I'll order over the phone."

  "Forgot to go shopping?" Sean asked rolling his eyes as he set up her DVD player. "You and Karen are the worst at taking care of yourselves."

  "That's why we have you," May teased. Karen wasn't good at keeping up with her paperwork, which was why she generally ended doing half of hers. She didn't think her new partner would be that nuts. "Cases, and paperwork, take our minds off normal needs."

  "Why can't you order pizza?"

  "Might as well eat the box it's in. Some of the places around here are that bad."

  "Your just picky."

  "If I must put greasy shit in my body. It better be the nice tasting greasy shit."

  "I'll have a mild curry," Sean told her. "And you'll be getting butter chicken? Again."

  "Very funny," May told him. "Yes, I'll be getting Butter chicken and rice. Along with two of their curries for lunch. Spicy."

  "The usual place?"

  "Yes. Their food is actually spicy and hasn't given me food poisoning, which is a plus."

  "You should have checked."

  "But I didn't."

  "At least it forced you to take time off work."

  "Thinking about that," May said as she picked up her phone, Sean smiling as he put in the blue disk. "You knew I was on a case. Why are you here?"

  Sean paused at this, before handing her this mornings newspaper from his bag. On the front cover was Isaac glaring at the news reporter as they shoved phones underneath the Commanders face.

  "Saw the paper this morning. Mentioned you were on the team investing the Chevell Media Murders," he continued. "You don't like me coming here when you work. Because the scums your usually after don't care if they pull in innocents."

  "They'd use you as beat in a heartbeat," May agreed. "Murder cases don't usually pull others into it. Unless your a target."

  "You don't think..."

  "Hardly Sean. I don't think your a target."

  Sean still looked nervously at her door, almost as if he was expecting the murder to burst in. Which May highly doubted that they would, since she was armed most of the time.

  "Sean, you're safe," May told him walking over to put her hand on his shoulder. "I'm armed and trained."

  "Thanks May. I feel safer with you around," Sean told her, smiling before handing her a bottle of coke. "Karen has a case, so it's better to avoid her for the next six months."

  May nodded. At least her alcohol would be safe. She only drank with Karen, since neither she nor Sean were big fans of the stuff.

  "Do you think Mrs Dovidas is safe?" Sean asked. "Nikola always loved her father. He's give her the moon if she wanted it."

  "Harsh to everyone, but he's own daughter," she agreed. "The only we can give her is justice for her father's death."

  "Any suspects?"

  "Can't say, Sean, you know I don't talk about work. Outside of work, it's not safe."

  "But it's not a gang!"

  "Murders have self-preservation too. We don't know how they'll react if they think they're about to get caught."

  "Afterwards?"

  "Afterwards everyone will know who did it."

  "True."

  "Anyway," May said, she needed to move the conversation away from her job. "How's Amna? You haven't told me how you met? It was during my last case wasn't it?"

  "We started talking at the library, we read similar books," Sean admitted, smiling gently as he placed boxes on the table. Doughnuts and cake. "We found out that we had a lot in common. Started dating a month later."

  "For how long?"

  "Two months. Amna'll kill me if I got that wrong."

  "So you've known each other for three months," May teased smiling as she watched her friend's cheeks darken. "Isn't that a little quick? Love at first sight?"

  "We're dating, May," Sean told her, eyes wide even as the title screen played behind them. "We're not getting married. We're not even engaged."

  "But you want to be."

  "She's the best thing to have happened to me."

  "Young love."

  "Stop talking like your old. You'll find someone."

  "I'll be the crazy aunt," May told him, like she would find anyone. Heck, she'd only been in one relationship and she was the one who ended that one. "The one who was forced into retirement, because she got shot in the hip. Then I'll adopt fifty cats."

  "Rumaysa," Sean groaned.

  "Come let's watch this episode before it gets dark," May told him showing him her phone. "I'll make sure you have dunner, and make sure you have a ride home."

  "I drove here," Sean admitted rolling his eyes. "But I'll make sure to text when I'm home."

  "You better," she told him. Turning around to watch another cop show that Sean thought she'd like. He really needed to watch something else.