1 |

Goblets lined the tabletops extravagantly and gifts were placed on a table that Arthur and Guinevere shared to honor their marriage.

Everyone, including the guests, Morgana, was dressed sophisticatedly. While she had decked out in the color of wine red and a thin golden belt around her waist, I myself wore a navy-blue colored gown with long sleeves and no back, as well as sequins on the torso.

Morgana and I had to stand on either side of Arthur since the three of us represent the Pendragon family when we enter the ballroom.

"You're beautiful today," Arthur took in my looks, "What's the occassion?" He smirked.

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Shut up, Arthur. Are you complimenting yourself or your sister?"

"Arthur is a fool," Morgana teased, "He never compliments anyone but himself."

I laughed and nodded in agreement. Arthur chuckled himself. The trumpets blared, and the doors threw open in a flourish as Gwen entered.

Behind her lined the five knights of the Round Table. As Gwen took her place beside Arthur, the knights slowly started to part away. Leon, however, took his place beside me.

"You look lovely today," He said.

"Thank you."

"Someone bothering you?" He asked.

"Not at the least," I replied, "I'm the Captain. Who'd dare to bother me?"

The crowd clapped as Arthur stood from his throne to deliver a quick speech, and once done, he smiled at everyone, and said, "Let the ball ... Commence!"

"Shall we show them how it's done?" Leon whispered into my ear, stretching his hand out.

I smiled, and took his hand.

He swept me away on the dance floor. Each move he had made was in sync with the classical music playing in the background.

"Hail the King and Queen of Camelot!" The crowd cheered and clapped as Arthur and Gwen took the center alongside us.

I gasped a little when Leon's gloved arm slipped around my bare waist.

"You seemed distracted," He said.

I shrugged, "Maybe I am. I'm just annoyed that Ava didn't get the chance to celebrate Firstwinter with us."

He mm-ed in agreement as he swept me into another step before saying, "She's in a much better place now. Far from war."

"Come, let's head to the balcony," He said.

I thought I had saw him wink at Arthur, but it might have just been my eyes playing games at me.

It was under a starry night sky, of course. Stars were twinkling above us. And below us was the beautiful Royal Garden where Ava had been properly rested in the middle of a patch of roses.

"I shouldn't have let her die," I wanted to blame myself as visions of Ava's death came back to my mind, "I should have protected her."

"Mom? Would you do me a favor, please?" She asked me.

It might be telling Ares that she finally died. I thought.

"Anything for you, my daughter," I brushed a strand off her face.

"Do not leave dad, please,"

And with that final statement, her eyes closed.

"It wasn't your doing," He pointed up to the sky, "Do you know that the Firstwinter Ball is held in honor of Ava?"

I gasped.

Lanterns floated up the skies, lighting up the night sky. It was a breathtaking sight.

I jumped when a finger poked me in the shoulder. Turning, I found Abigail holding a bow and arrow in one hand, and a torchlight in the other.

She had wanted me to put her to rest. Forever.

"Are you sure I should do this?" I asked, looking at Leon, who took the arrow and had it lit up by the torchlight.

"Ava must suffer no more," Leon replied.

Moments later, I finally accepted the bow and burning arrow from Leon, nocked, and aimed. Who knows where the arrow would land.

This, my daughter and my friend, is for you ... May you suffer no more. I thought deep inside my head as the first winter breeze blew against me and dried my tears.

The arrow flew.