7 |

"He did this?" Arthur slammed his fist on the armrest. Gwen have had to calm him down before his throne broke.

I nodded slowly.

"Oh, poor sister," Morgana hugged me tight, "You must be grieving .."

"It's fine. I knew he couldn't be trusted in the first place," I reassured her.

Arthur's eyes landed on Merlin, "Merlin told me yesterday that he had found out that Mithian was a shade. Can this might be that she has enchanted him?"

"Instead of asking for her execution, I made her leave right after the Games. She hadn't, I supposed." I sighed.

Gwen smiled sweetly, "We can have him brought here. And us Pendragons can talk to him as a family. You can ask for his explanation. I know Sir Leon. He is just confused. He'll never act that way to you."

"I'll just head to the dungeons. I can talk to him there. Alone." I offered a weak smile.

-

I took two storeys of stairs down before reaching the dungeons. It was dark, only lit by torchlights lining up at the sides of the hallway.

As always there are two guards stationed there. They were having a game of chess, and they were told to not accept drinks from any other person except me.

"I wish to speak to the prisoner," I told them, and they handed me the key.

"You have fifteen minutes, Captain," One guard told me as he resumed his game of chess.

I nodded.

-

Collecting a wave of sigh, I inserted the keys and entered. The cell's security was twice less than that of Mithian's cell.

"How are you holding up there?" I asked him at first, shutting the door behind me gently.

"When will be my execution?" His back was faced to me.

I stepped closer, "It is on my hands whether or not I'd give the execution to either you or Mithian."

"I'd rather die," He replied.

I sighed, "Earlier today, you asked me to listen to your explanation," I began, "I was blinded by hatred and jealousy to not do so."

"Why did you do it?" I asked him finally after a long pause, "I need to know if I still have your trust and love."

The chains on his wrists rattled as he shifted to a comfortable sitting position.

I knelt down to be in the same level as him, so I could face his eyes, "Is it because you love her more than you love me?"

My voice was gentle, not stern. I was okay with Leon falling in love with another woman, but not a shade.

"I love you more than anything else in my life," He finally said, "I wasn't sure what had gotten over me. It is not only you who was blinded by jealousy and hatred. It was I. She reminded me so much of Mithian."

I placed a hand on his shoulder, "I hate to break it to you, Leon, but it is not the Mithian you know. She is a shade," I told him, "risen by who knows who."

"Time's up, Captain," the familiar voice of a guard called through the peek hole of the wooden door.

I gave him a thumbs-up indicating that I understood, and I flashed one final smile to Leon, "I hope you'll find a better woman."

Without second thoughts, I slipped the engagement ring he had given me off my ring finger. I set it down in front of him before getting up to my feet and exiting the cell.