Chapter-40: Tough competition for the groom

Lara's P.O.V. :

"Hello, buddy. Remember me, right?" Mr Stone asked extended his hand towards Shane with a smirk on his face

"Of course, I do. How can I forget you, The Playboy of all times? " Shane said distastefully while taking his hand in his and from the way he clutched Mr Stone's hand I could just imagine the level of pain he might have felt.

Mr Stone pulled his hand back and rubbed it using another. Ugh...Finally, he left my waist.

"Still the same old The feisty Shane Adams I must say..." Mr Stone said teasingly still rubbing his hand.

Shane was looking at me ignoring his beautiful fiancé who was standing beside him her arms encircled around his arm. Do not get jealous, Lara. Just control yourself.

I averted my eyes from them and looked at Mr Stone. Poor guy!

"You're okay, right?" I asked concerned but before he could reply, Shane spoke.

"So, I can see that you both know each other. huh?" he asked under his gritted teeth.

"Yeah, you can say so. We've known each other for a while now." Mr Stone said back with his smirk on his handsome face. He again decided to encircle his hand around my waist which again took me off guard.

But wait...we've known each other for a whileSince when?

I gave him a confused look which he noticed. He tilted his face down up to my face which really made me nervous and slowly whispered into my ear.

"I guess you don't know the plan. Well, right now I won't be able to explain the whole plan to you but believe me that I am on your side so just go with the flow and help me here. Say yes to everything I say. Okay? Now giggle as if I've told the joke of the century." he ended the last portion in a husky way which made the hairs stand up at the back of my neck but believing him I did as I was told to do. I giggled in the most girly way as I could ever do.

And after that, we heard a loud thud.

Shane had apparently broken the glass of whiskey. But the thing that made me lose my calm was the blood oozing from his hands due to the cut by the broken pieces of the glass of whiskey.

I really freaked out at the sight of blood covering his hand. I tried to take his hand in mine but was suddenly pulled back by Mr Stone and Shane hand was taken by Tiara into her hands. She started examining the cuts with a horrified look on her face whereas Shane's face was stoic. He was looking at me with bloodshot red eyes and he had got no care about his cuts.

I tried to control myself and looked the other way. Shortly, Mrs Adams including other people came to notice the chaos and freaked out after seeing the cuts and the blood coming out of them.

"Shane, what happened? how did you get your hand cut? oh god! it's bleeding so badly. How can you be so careless, Shany?" Mrs Adams asked totally freaked out. I went to her to calm her.

"Dora, please bring the first aid box," I said to Dora. She hurried inside one of the rooms and in no time came with a first aid box.

I was about to open the box when it was taken away from me by Tiara. His to-be-fiancé...

I got away from there and let her clean the cuts and bandage it.

Tiara started cleaning the cut along with Mrs Adams. They both bandaged his cut. Almost 90% of his left hands are covered with the bandage. 

I looked at Mr Adams who was looking down on his now bandaged hand with no emotions or pain.

Why don't you feel anything, Shane? I get it that you don't love me or felt anything for me but why are you hurting yourself for no reasons?

I felt a little hand clutch to my fingers. I looked down at Cara who had ice cream in one hand and a confused look in her eyes. Maybe she didn't notice this whole chaos.

"What is happening, mommy?" she asked and leaked her ice cream innocently.

"Nothing, baby. It's just a small crowding of people. Nothing else." I assured her.

"I guess we should continue with the engagement ceremony. Where are the rings?" Shane's father asked and soon after everything got into its normal phase.

A girl in her 20s brought a tray containing two velvet boxes of engagement rings. People started gathering around the stage where Mr Adams and Tiara were standing.

Aren't you going to say anything, Shane? Aren't you going to do anything to stop this engagement or is this what you really want?

I felt a slight pull on my hand again. I looked at Cara and knelt down in front of her.

"Baby, let's go home," I said as I tried to control my tears from being spilled out.

"Okay," she said and finished her Ice cream

I looked at Shane for the last time who was facing Tiara now and the engagement ceremony was just about to initiate. I wiped my tear and walked out of the mansion with Cara without giving glances to anybody or anything.

As I passed by the main gate I heard the big noise of people's clapping, cheering and hooting.

With a heavy heart and tears in my eyes, I exited.  

Don't forget to vote!