Chapter 3

The next morning, I get up earlier to go on a run before my 10 am shift. I throw on a sports bra, tank top and running shorts. I start running down the neighborhood and into downtown.  I don't think I could ever get enough of this place. Everyone is friendly and it's beautiful here. As I run to clear my head, I spot a farmers market on my way home. I could use fresh vegetables and fruit. I grab a small bag and start gathering the fresh produce. Once at the register, the cashier rings up everything. "That will be $15.62." I look down, noticing all I have is $12 in cash on me. As I get ready to put a few items back, a hand reaches out. "Here." I look to find a beautiful man. No...wait. It's Aiden. Shit.

I look him in the eye, "I don't want your money." He rolls his eye, "God, would you take that stick out of your ass. It's just a couple of dollars." I place a couple of apples on the counter and hand the cashier my $12. I grab the bag and walk away. He runs up to me, "are you serious? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

I stare at the sidewalk, "stop following me." I turn and look into his ice blue eyes. He looked emotionless. He throws up his hands, "done."

I head home and jump in the shower, getting ready for work. I head into the pub and work my shift. Time passes by and my shift ends at 6 pm. I get a phone call from Julia, another waitress and a good friend of mine and Sophia's. "Hi Julia, what's up girl?" I hear her coughing, "hey Mia, I'm sorry to do this, but I'm really sick. Can you cover my shift?" I chuckle, "of course! Hope you feel better." I hang up the phone and Sophia walks towards me, "hey, Uncle wants to speak with you." I nod my head and walk towards his office.

I knock on the door. Bob turns towards me and motions me in. "Shut the door Mia." Oh God, what did I fuck up. He puts his hands together, "Mia, what's your plans after college?" I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know. I haven't really thought that far."

He smiles, "well...I'm not getting any younger and I spoke with Sophia. I plan on retiring in five years and I would love for you and Sophia to take over the restaurant, that is if you're interested." I was shocked. "Are you certain? I'm not a relative." He smiles and shakes his head in amusement. "Mia, you may not be biologically mine. But I love you just like if you were. I want you and Sophia to run this restaurant together." I smile, "yes, I would love that!" I exclaim.

He got up and gave me a hug, "I know you have a rough past, but you now have a family and that's all that matters." A tear starts to fall down my cheek. Bob wipes my cheek and smiles. "I hope they are happy tears."

I nod my head, "they are." He smiles looking down at me, "okay, enough of this mushy stuff. Why don't you go on stage and sing. I know Sophia has been dying to hear you sing again and the restaurant is pretty dead right now." He says. I smile and nod.

I head out to the main waiting area and Sophia has already gotten the microphone setup. I decide to sing an upbeat song: Tuxedo by Clare Dunn.

He don't need no coat and tie
Don't need no black and white
He don't need no red copper cameras flashing in his eyes
Oh, no

'Cause his feet are on the ground
And he's grounded in his boots
My baby looks so sexy out there working in his boots

Oh, you should know
Oh, my man
He got them real strong hands
And after working all day out in that hot sunshine
He comes walking in always lookin' so fine
Oh, my heart
Lights up like shooting stars
He like a knight in shining armour with them blue jeans on
Dirty white tee and my baby don't need, no

Tux, tux, tuxedo
Tux, tux, tuxedo
Don't need no
Don't need no
Tuxedo

Right then, I watch Caleb, Lee and Aiden walk in. Aiden's eyes watch me intensely singing.

I don't need no diamond rings
Don't need no shining cars
He makes me feel so fancy when I'm laying in his arms

Oh, you should know
Oh, my man
He got them real strong hands
And after working all day out in that hot sunshine
He comes walking in always lookin' so fine

Oh, my heart
Lights up like shooting stars
Hes like a knight in shining armour with them blue jeans on
Dirty white tee and my baby don't need no

Tux, tux, tuxedo
Tux, tux, tuxedo
Don't need no
Don't need no
Tuxedo

He's like a George Strait choir type
He knows the difference in wrong and right
And he gives me just what I like
All night

And he's mine, all mine...

I can see Aiden watch me as I walk off stage and head towards the bar to help make drinks before the evening rush starts.

Sophia walks up to me, to grab drinks for the guests, "Mia, that was so awesome! I see that you have a secret admirer - he's beautiful too." She motions towards Aiden. I roll my eyes, "not interested."

I look up and notice Caleb walking towards us. "Hey, nice job up there. You can really sing." He sets his elbow on the bar and looks at Sophia. He extends his hand towards Sophia, "Hi, I'm Caleb." She smiles and shakes his hand, "I'm Sophia." They start flirting with each other, as I make drinks for Sophia's customers. Caleb turns and looks at me, "so, are you and Sophia just co-workers?" Sophia interjects, "no, she's my sister."

Caleb looks confused considering we look absolutely nothing alike. She starts giggling, "not biologically, but my family basically adopted her. She's my sister and best friend. Why do you ask?"

He smiles, "well...maybe you two and another girlfriend of yours could go out with me, Lee and Aiden this Friday." My eyes widen in horror. I cut off Sophia, "no, I'm good. But, thanks for the offer." Before Sophia could protest, I grabbed the drinks I made and walked to Sophia's customers and gave them their drinks. I looked back at Caleb and he was dumbfounded by my response. He walks back to his table.

I walk back towards the bar and notice Sophia still standing there glaring at me. "What the fuck Mia? Why are you acting like the ice queen?" I clench my teeth, "look Soph, I'm not interested in hanging out with any men. Or, getting to know those gym freaks that have over inflated egos." She rolls her eyes and walks away.

Later in the week - Friday. I head into work. Sophia and Julia run up to me. "Hey Mia, we are going out dancing tonight." I shake my head, "I don't like dancing." Sophia grabs my hands, " no arguments, you're going. I brought a dress and heels for you. We will get ready here and head there after work." I sigh and head towards the bar to make drinks.

Later in the evening all three of us are in the bathroom. Julia, a sun-kissed skin brunette puts on a short hot pink dress. Sophia, puts on a lavender dress, with a plunging neck line. It's shows off her amazing cleavage. She then pulls out a bright red, two piece crop top dress. I shake my head, "I'm not wearing that." She smirks, "it's ether this or naked, take your pick." I roll my eyes and snatch the dress from her. I put it on and the crop top and bottom skirt hugs my curves. You can completely see my toned stomach. "Soph, this dress makes me super uncomfortable." She grabs my hand leading both Julie and I out of the door. "Mia, it only makes you uncomfortable because you look fucking hot in it." Julie chuckles, "I have to agree with Sophia on this one." I sigh and shake my head as we head to the club.