Jade

Three years later, I was twenty– a college graduate and had recently scored an internship at an emerging clothing line's business called The Block. I wasn't much into fashion, but I wanted to work in communications and being the company's new customer service system seemed to be some kind of foot in the door, especially since I was to be a one man team.

The business was small – we worked out of a simple building a on the outskirts of town. I would be the person who people called for questions and I would handle any sort of problems with merchandise as well as assisting in bills and supplies. The staff consisted of six employees who made and printed clothing; there was the office manager; and then owner of the company – Jade.

Even though the office manager, I think her name was Robin, was over hiring and payroll and everything, Jade had actually done my interview. She hired me on the spot – said I was just what she'd been looking for.

The interview had been on a Thursday in her office in the back of the shop. The shop had dark wooden floors with lighter walls and white trimmings. The Block specialized in stylish tops for men and women including tanks, tees, shirts, blouses, and skirts, and dresses. They were displayed throughout the store, but I didn't pay much attention as I'd followed Jade back to the office.

Her hair was dark and her eyes bright. She had mid-colored skin, not dark but not light either; her hair was brushed up into a messy bun. She wore a white blouse that ruffled around her cleavage and a grey pencil skirt with skinny, black heels. Something about her was strangely...pretty.

Once in her office, she slid close two wooden doors so that we couldn't be seen from the inside of the shop, but there was a large glass window lining the entire back wall of her office that looked out towards the city line. She slid off her heels and sat down to a very sleek, dark desk.

"Have a seat. I'm so excited you're here!" she told me with enthusiastically. There was a small aloe vera plant at the corner of her desk and for a split moment, it looked different, but in the moment of a blink, it was gone. I shook the thought away quickly.

I smiled nervously, fidgeting with the folder in my hands that held a single copy of my resume. But Jade already was prepared; she had printed the one I had submitted online and was pulling it out in front of her.

"Ahh, a communications major? I obtained a communications minor," she grinned as she glanced at my resume. She was quiet for a moment and then spoke again, "You've done a lot of community service; I see you worked part-time in an office setting," she went on reviewing my resume.

I listened to her finish up a summary of my resume before beginning to tell me what the company was all about. I would nod my head with a smile and give small commentary when needed, but my eyes were strangely glued to her – not in a way as if merely paying attention, but more so an analytic gaze.

Eventually, Jade noticed. She gave me a strange half-smile with a cocked brow and said, "Linnea, are you okay?" The way my name rolled off her tongue gave me chills on my legs, but luckily the goose bumps were covered by the slacks I wore. Her voice was sweet and dark at the same time. It had a sort of raspy tone, but was nevertheless soft.

I bit my lip and nodded, "Uh, yeah, sorry, Ms. Jade. I just...uh, like your shirt," I said sheepishly. She kind of gazed down and perked up her chest; I could clearly see the top of her breasts and she shrugged.

"Are you flirting with me?" she giggled then. I think I made a face then because she grinned and stood up from where she sat behind the desk. She came around and sat against her desk right in front of me. "Or am I reading you wrong? My gaydar is sort of off."

I raised a brow. She was talking to me like a familiar friend rather than a business manager looking to hire me - and this was to be my new boss. I was confused. I guess it made me sort of more comfortable though. "Uhh, no, I'm not um, gay, Ms. Jade," I stammered with an awkward smile.

Jade eyed me with a weird grin and I think I was blushing. My cheeks all of a sudden felt warm. "Well you're giving me the googly eyes and everything," she teased. "But I'm too old for you anyways," she went on. Jade turned around to grab my resume from behind her on the desk. "You're twenty. Yeah, you're a baby."

"Well," I said finally finding my voice, "Just how old are you if you don't mind me asking, Ms. Jade?"

"Ah, she speaks," Jade chuckled, "But I'm twenty-five. Too old for you. And you just turned twenty. I'll be twenty-six in a few months."

I shrugged and said, "If I were interested in females, I'd say age isn't anything but a number, but I guess it doesn't matter," I paused then before eyeing her, "So does that mean you were hoping I was flirting with you? Had I been a bit older, Ms. Jade?"

Jade stood then and walked to get her heels. "Doesn't matter, Linnea. And stop calling me Ms. Jade; makes me feel old," she said with a smile as she slid on her shoes, "But you got the job." She reached her hand out to shake mine.

I stared at her with a sort of dumb, blank look. She kept holding her hand out, although her face began to have a sort of confused gaze.

"Oh my, thank you! This is great!" I squealed grabbing her hand with excitement.

Jade gave a soft smirk and said, "I'll see you, Monday at nine o'clock."