Green

I planned to call her once I got home, but as I pulled up to the front of my apartment, I noticed her two-door BMW sitting outside. A weird smile crossed my lips as I parked and stepped out of my car. "What're you doing here?" I laughed.

Jade's windows were down and she gazed at me behind dark shades. "I've been waiting for almost thirty minutes," she said with a frown.

My cheerful attitude dropped. "I mean I was at my parents and you hadn't text back. I didn't know what you were doing."

She slid her shades off and shrugged. "I guess you have a point. Can I come in?" she asked.

I nodded eagerly, "Of course."

Jade followed me inside. Compared to her highly decorated house, my apartment was very plain. I wasn't decorative so there was just a painting here or a little table-setter there. "How'd you even figure out where I live?" I asked once inside.

"You're my employee. I have pretty much any information I want on you –middle name, phone number, address, social security, but no pressure," she sort of giggled.

I cocked a brow up at her and beckoned her to the sofa. "So what brings you here, boss?"
Jade kind of shrugged and glanced up as if thinking, "Well, for the second time I feel like I was a bit harsh on you, although my kitty does kind of hurt still," she began.

"Oh my gosh, don't make me feel worse," I sighed and pressed my hands to my forehead.

She shook her head and touched my knee, "No, Linnea, you're good. It's not the worse," she paused and eyed me with a mischievous smile, "Probably the second worse, but again, no pressure." I rolled my eyes playfully. "Anyways, as I was saying...I think I owe you this."

Before I could ask her what, she leaned, gently grabbed my face, and kissed me. I felt some wave rush through me and for a minute I almost felt light-headed. It was small; a double-pecked kiss.

When she moved away and I opened my eyes, I thought I saw something for a moment in her eyes. I blinked, but it was still there. It was...it was...I looked around for anything that looked similar, but there was nothing. "What's wrong?" Jade asked.

I was too busy looking around for something that looked like what I'd seen. And then, "Your eyes, Jade! It's like this!" I said jumping up and running over to a small picture in the room. It was a picture leaves falling off a tree, but a few of them looked like a faint version of what I'd seen.

"Green?" Jade gasped. I looked at her and she stood and walked over to me. "My eyes are green?"

I looked into her eyes, but they looked no different than everything around her. "They're grey, but they were just green! Or whatever color this is!" But when I looked back at the picture, it was back to looking like all the other grey hues in my world.

"It was just there..." I said my voice trailing off, "And I thought you'd seen color before? You said it was faint. Wouldn't you know what color your own eyes were?"

Jade turned away and walked back across the room. "I told you I don't like questions, but it was never clear. It was foggy."

I wanted to ask more, but she spoke, "Look, Linnea, I have to go pick Jared up from my parents. I wanted to come over to give you what I gave you or whatever, and invite you to a party Rowan's having."

"He invited me or you?"
"I did and am."

"Does he know?"

Jade scuffed, "I don't care if he does or not. It's at my house so I decide who's coming."

"When is it?"

"In three weeks; that Saturday, four o'clock. You can come over early and get ready at my place."

I smiled and hugged her, "Sounds like a plan."