Jade's Secret

It was almost eleven when I felt Jade stirring me awake. I blinked open my eyes to see her motioning for me to follow. I tried my best to get up without waking Jared. He sort of curled up tighter in a ball in my absence, but he never woke up.

"Took you long enough," I yawned with a laugh once we were out of Jared's room. "Is everything good?"

Jade nodded. "Yeah, I told him straight up how I feel about you, him, and everything in between. I told him if he can't deal with it, then oh well. Fuck him."

"Really?"

"Yes, Linnea. I'm so tired of this dude. I mean, I understand we dated; I understand he loves me, but I am not in love with him. But as my best friend all he does is ruin any happiness that comes my way. Is that a real friend? Should I be destined to misery because of a jealous ex? I want to get married. I want another kid. He's not going to stop all of that." I shrugged my brows and stayed quiet. I really didn't know what to say. She sighed then, "you can stay the night if you want. I'm not going to work tomorrow."

"Okay, but I didn't ask for a day off, so then what happens?" I told her.

She made a 'really' face at me. "Jade. I pay you. I don't care."

I shrugged, "Well, what about my clothes? Can I wash them?"

Jade sighed in irritancy, "You and these questions, Linnea. I can't right now." I frowned and apologized. I mean, she did wash my clothes. She gave me an old t-shirt to sleep in once I showered, which was weird because Jade didn't strike me as the type to wear t-shirts. I guess it didn't matter at night though since she got in the bed with just a bra and panties on.

Anyways, as we lay in the bed that night, I couldn't help but to bring up Jared's conversation. Jade had been quiet and just doing things on the phone so I said, "You know, Jared told me something today."

It was a delayed response, but she locked her phone and rolled over to face me. "What'd my baby tell you?" it was sort of sarcastic.

I swallowed, "Well," I paused, "He told me that you said my eyes are like the sky. And I know my eyes are blue. And I know the sky is also blue. So...does that mean that-"

Jade cut my words off and kissed me. It was like the kiss from Saturday. There was emotion in it and not like one of her little teaser kisses. She meant it. Then she pulled away. "Yes, Linnea, yes," she murmured.

Then, for the first time, she finally confessed what she felt for me, "I see color. I see it. I saw it when you walked in for your interview. They were beautiful, like the sky. And that first day, I walked to my car, looked at the sky, and knew I was doomed. Your dark brown hair is beautiful with its soft waves and curls. Your smile is perfect and your pink lips are to die for. But no, I wanted to fight it. I knew how Rowan was. And if you fell for me like you said you were, I didn't want him to hurt you or ruin it. I didn't want you to love me because how could I hurt you or rather watch him hurt you? But at the same time, I didn't want you to go. I tried to minimize my feelings but I can't help it. And after Saturday, I knew Rowan had to go because my heart almost broke seeing your face." She paused and reached to stroke my cheek gently, "Because I love you, Linnea. I really do."

My heart felt warm and I felt like my spirit was doing backflips within my body. Even though she couldn't see it, my grin was enormous. "Well," I whispered warmly, "do you want to know what I feel?"

Jade sort of smirked, "I have a pretty good idea of what you're going to say."

I shrugged under the sheets. "Well, strangely, I guess eyes are something that the human race is really stuck on, but the green – the hazel – it's amazing. And you have this thing for plants with draws it all together. I'm in love with your style, your confidence and independence, your entire...being. And I never would've imagined that my first real job would bring me love as well."

I could just make out her silhouette as the moonlight peered through her window. She rolled close to me and kissed me then. It felt so heartfelt and passionate even though it was brief. "I love you, Linnea," Jade whispered as she cuddled closer to me. I felt my heart flood with warmth as I closed my eyes and relaxed in her embrace.

The next morning, I woke up with Jade's arm lazily flung over me. I yawned and went to get out the bed, but her arm tightened around me. The sun was barely up, but I could see light beginning to flood into her room.

"Jade," I roused her awake, "Look."
Jade blinked open her eyes lazily, "Linnea, what is it?" she growled.

I nodded my head towards the window. "The sunrise." Jade turned over to look at the window which was to her back and we both gazed as the sun peaked over the silhouette of houses nearby. Rays of golden color burst from behind and the sky was a dilute pink color as dusk met dawn.

For once, Jade gave a timid smile and said something sweet, "It's beautiful – like you." And with that, I pulled her closer to me and squeezed her. Finally, something in my life felt right. The color was finally there and it was absolutely beautiful – the colors and Jade and all. At the moment, I didn't care about work or Sienna or my parents or anything – I just wanted Jade and finally, I had her.