Nea's Eyes Are Blue

On Monday I got stares everywhere I went – from the coffee shop, to walking down the street, to work. As soon as I walked into work, Robin was at the door. "Oh my gosh, hunny!" she yelped, "I ought to go kick his ass myself!"

"I'm fine, Robin," I assured, "It doesn't really hurt much anymore." My face was still pretty bruised, but the swelling was gone and it mostly only hurt if I applied pressure to it.

"Let me tell you: Jade felt so bad. When you left she called crying saying how she couldn't believe he'd done something like that. He's never been that bold. No matter how much he hated her dating women, he'd always stayed in his lane."

I was really unconcerned about Rowan at this point. I was concerned about Jade and all the feelings I felt for her. Why was I so infatuated with her? Why were all the colors of the rainbow becoming apparent for her? Why the hell didn't she feel it for me? This was her idea to begin with! "Did she say anything else?"

"Huh, like what?" Robin asked.

I shrugged and shook my head and muttered a dry, "Nothing."

"Linnea," Robin stopped me again, "Jade really likes you – more than she lets on. She tells me that she loves you. But for one, she thinks your age gap is hindering her viewpoints of you. Also, she doesn't know how Jared would adjust to you. And, she's scared of Rowan – she won't admit it, but she is. She's scared that he'll do something to you."

I snorted and pointed to my face," Will do? He's already done something."

Robin nodded and continued, "I think that's all that holds her back. But, before you ask, the color thing, I don't know. She hasn't told me. Have you seen color towards her?"

I supposed Jade hadn't told her so I muttered a "No," and then I continued, "But what I can say is that for one, Jared and I get along. No I don't know him very well; I don't know his favorite food or how to even feed him apparently. For another thing, I believe in the saying that age is nothing but a number. People have overcome racial differences, sexuality differences, and everything in between so I'll be damned if being five years younger is a legit reason. And lastly, I don't care about Rowan. At. All. And his drama is worth it if it means I'll be with her."

"That's true. But I mean, how do you really feel about her?" Jade's chipper friend asked.

I looked at Robin and glanced around to make sure no one else was watching or listening to us. "The way she's ride or die about Jared is how I'm trying to ride for her. She's an outstanding woman and the best mother any child could ever ask for! She deserves any and everything. I'm trying to be her peace. She doesn't deserve anymore pain."

Robin's grin grew from ear to ear but as she went to respond, we heard our boss' voice, "Linnea!" We both snapped our heads over to where she stood looking rather impatient in the doors of her office. "Better get over there before she snaps your head off. You know she needs her coffee."

We both laughed as I made my way across the store. "Dang what happened to your face?" I heard Skylar gasp as I passed him changing a mannequin. I ignored him and headed to Jade.

As I approached, her face gradually seemed more welcoming. "About time," she said as she reached to take the coffee from my hands. We weren't even in the office, but Jade kissed my cheek anyways.

"Ooh, you're getting bold," I teased.

Jade shooed me away, "This is my business. I'll do whatever the hell I want." We both smiled and then headed to do our own work. Jade didn't seem upset nor concerned about me throughout the day. She just appeared her normal self that day, or rather the entire week.