10

As soon as my feet touch the grassy floor, my knees buckle, and I start to sob uncontrollably into my hands.

Niall stumbles over to me and lightly pats my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head.

Harry puts his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry. You still have the mirror to communicate, remember?"

"It won't be the same," I mumble, my voice muffled by my hands.

"You know, Louis," Zayn speaks up from behind me. "You know when you said you didn't love him like that?"

I grunt in response.

"Well," Zayn continues. "I think you do love him."

"I don't," I retort. "We're just really good friends."

"Really good friends don't look at each other like that," Liam pipes up.

"Really good friends don't speak to each other like that," Kaia adds.

I look up at them.

Harry smiles. "And, really good friends don't act like this," he gestures to me. "when they leave each other."

I groan and bury my face back in my hands.

five years ago.

The rusty metal gate makes a loud screeching sound as I open the gate to the cemetery.

It's been exactly 1,463 days since Kyle died.

I walk down the cemetery path and go to the grave under a big oak tree. I carved the grave myself, because how am I supposed to fake Kyle having parents? He has a house, but no parents.

Tears form in my eyes as I read the words on the headstone for the 1,463th time in my little messy eight-year-old handwriting.

"Here lies Kyle Brenner. My only friend. 1992-2001"

"My only friend," I mouth, tears streaming down my face. "My only friend."

I set down a rose among the 1,462 other ones, half of which have died. I look around, and there are other humans in the area, some looking at me with sympathetic smiles, and some looking at the grave, shocked at the amount of flowers there.

They probably think I'm like any other kid, upset about their dead friend.

Normally, I'm not. I've killed a hundred more times than everyone in this cemetery has combined.

But now, as I'm standing in front of Kyle's grave, I feel vulnerable. I feel like any other twelve-year-old.

"Kyle, please, come back," I pray to the heavens, my tears watering the roses below. "Please. I need you."

present.

Oh.

I think I actually do love Kyle.

Kaia looks at me empathetically, as if she could read my mind.

Oh, wait. That's because she can read my mind.

Kaia smirks, and then she turns away.

"Well, the good news is that our problem is solved," Zayn mutters.

"What do you mean?" I whine, rolling on my back.

"Hell's fixed. It's not being destroyed anymore," Zayn replies.

I feel my mirror vibrating in my pocket.

I pull it out and smile as I tap the screen.

"Louis," Kyle's face comes into view, panicked.

"What's going on?" I ask, confused.

"We're all going to die!" he shouts into the mirror. I can see the nervous sweat shining on his face.

"What?" I yell.

"Prepare for war."