12

We all huddle in a circle.

"Do we have any ideas?" Kyle asks, his voice panicked. "What's our plan?"

"Well, since I don't really want to die," I roll my eyes. "I thought of something."

"What's your idea?" Liam asks.

"Well, demons hate the cold, right? It's the only thing that can kill them," I think. "So what if we kill them with cold?"

Zayn snorts. "How are we supposed to do that?"

"I don't know," I raise my arms in exasperation. "That's why I'm asking you for your help, genius."

"What about ice water?" Niall suggests. "Then we can freeze them to death."

Liam snaps his fingers. "Like the Wicked Witch of the West! Except she melted to death"'

"Okay, guys, I don't know how you're still joking around when we're clearly going to die soon," Kaia grumbles. "But I think ice water is a good idea. It's a good idea, but we need more ideas."

"I'll go with Harry and Zayn to get the ice water," Kyle suggests. "Zayn's house is right there."

Then the three of them run towards Zayn's house.

"Okay, other ideas?" I ask.

"What about Nitrogen-infused bullets?" Liam suggests.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, sure, Liam. Where are we going to get those?"

Liam speeds away, and he's back the same second he's gone. On his back is a black backpack.

"What's in that?" I ask.

Liam tosses the backpack on the muddy ground and zips it open. He pulls a gun out, with five boxes labeled "Nitrogen-infused bullets".

My jaw drops open. "Where did you get those?"

"Does it matter?" Liam grins. "The gun is silent, so you can't hear it. If the bullets hit a human, they die like any other bullet wound. If the bullets hit a demon, it kills them immediately, like a fast-spreading poison."

"What if it hits a demon-possessed human?" Kyle says from behind me, carrying two big buckets of water.

"If the bullets hit a demon-possessed human, then the demon will rip itself out of the human, killing the human, and then the demon would go die somewhere else," Liam says, loading the gun. "Nothing does that sort of thing except for Nitrogen-infused bullets."

Zayn, Harry, Niall and Kaia immediately scatter away from the gun.

"Guys, it's okay," Liam rolls his eyes. "I only misfired this gun once, and that was when I was seven. I was aiming for a tree, but a bird scared me and I hit it to a park somewhere. It was dark, so I don't think anyone was there. You have nothing to worry about."

He goes back to loading the gun.

Wait.

The description Liam gave if the bullets hit a demon-possessed human sound eerily familiar.

I think about what Liam said.

The gun is silent.

The bullets cause a demon to rip itself out of the human.

Liam misfired the gun when he was seven. Since I'm guessing Liam is about a year younger than me, that means I was eight. Which is the same time that Kyle died.

I glance at Kyle, and his face is pale white.

Kaia looks at Kyle, and her jaw drops open in realization as she reads his mind.

This can only mean one thing.

I'm staring right at Kyle's murderer.