The Incident

I'm on a bench playing the song Glowing with my guitar when my phone suddenly buzzed. It was Nicole calling. I answered immediately, "Hey, love. Where're you at?"

"I'm already crossing the street." She says through the phone. I can hear the cars in the background. "Don't worry, I'm almost there."

I heard her walk across the street, "I'll go fetch you."

"There's no need. I'm almost there anyway." She said.

"I love you." I said. I heard tires screech, then a loud thunk. I heard the cellphone falling. I heard shouts and screams.

"Hey, Nicole! Answer me! What's wrong? Did something happen?" I stood this time, worried that something had happened to Nicole. I placed my guitar down on the bench and started walking back and forth.

Finally, I heard someone picking up Nicole's dropped phone, "Who is this? Do you know the girl?" A woman's voice.

"I'm Vincent Valentine. I'm her boyfriend." I say, "Who is this? Could you please give the phone back to Nicole?"

"Sir, I am of the St. Tomas Hospital. We are here to assist the girl--Nicole, was it?-to the hospital," She says, "She is the victim of the hit-and-run accident that occurred just a moment ago."

My grip on my phone loosened. The nurse kept calling for me. I knelt and screamed a curse on the top of my lungs.

I woke up from my nightmare. It's been four months since that accident. I still can't forget it. "I'm sorry, Nicole, I'm so sorry..." It came out as a silent whisper as stream of tears came down my eyes uncontrollably.

"Nicole, I'm sorry..." I say as I sobbed quietly while sitting up on bed.