Forgiving

Author's Note: Here's the next video in my Tips for Writing a Captivating Story series.

Also, I haven't forgotten about my story with Viltus and Elisa... I just keep on getting busy, so it might take a while ;)

***

"Ah, Marissa!" Old Dorien's toothy grin greeted them.

Deeper in the house, Rosalind's sobs had softened and Nad snapped, "She's not to enter, Dorien."

Carissa suppressed a sigh. Really? Nad was upset at her? She would have thought he'd thank her for ensuring his wife remained loyal—at least for a little while.

The door opened wider, and Rosalind appeared, rubbing at her tear-stained cheeks. "No, it's alright, Nad."

Nad joined Rosalind's side, his glare spearing Carissa. Tension thickened in the air until Carissa could barely breathe. What was she supposed to do? Say she regretted her words? Or that she hadn't meant them? Neither statement would be true.

Rosalind's smile was more of a grimace, but it was beautiful on her nonetheless. "Would you like to finish your breakfast before you depart?"

Carissa nodded. "That would be..." Awkward? Uncomfortable?

"Lovely," Elon answered for her.

Rosalind offered a tremulous smile. "In that case, I believe I'll reheat the tea. If you'll excuse me, I need to cut some sprigs of carment from the garden." Rosalind hesitated before edging past them.

Carissa nudged Elon aside, so he wouldn't even brush Rosalind's sleeve.

Hurt flashed across Rosalind's expression before she subdued it. "Please, have a seat and make yourselves comfortable."

Once Carissa and Elon were both inside, Nad shut the door behind them. He turned towards Carissa. "If it were up to me, you wouldn't ever step foot in here again."

Her eyebrows rose. The Nad she remembered was meek and mild. One would often have to coax him to hear his true thoughts and feelings. "I can't believe you defend her. You're not blind; you saw what happened."

"I saw my wife doing her best to make our guests feel welcomed."

"Surely you jest." Carissa edged closer to Elon. "Didn't you see how she chose to speak with him?"

"Only after she tried speaking with you, and your short answers made it exceedingly obvious you didn't wish to converse with her."

Almost like her mother had treated her last night. Disgust tightened Carissa's throat. But this situation was different, wasn't it?

Nad sighed. "But I do understand why you might make such assumptions... When I first began courting her, I'd become jealous when I saw how she acted around other men. Until I realized that's how Rosalind interacts with people, men and women. She just has a way of making them feel special. Unfortunately, you haven't been the only one to mistake her friendliness for flirtatiousness." Nad shrugged. "But it no longer bothers me. I know Rosalind. However," his gaze sharpened, "if you continue to speak to her so cruelly, not even Rosalind's pleading will stop me from casting you from our home and forbidding you to return."

Carissa sank her teeth into her lower lip. It was true Rosalind had tried to engage her in conversation first... was it possible she had changed?

Nad gestured to the table, his expression flinty. "Seat yourselves."

Elon nodded. "Thank you." He guided Carissa to her seat before seating himself.