Awaiting Execution: Part 2

"Wait!" Lyron ripped away from the woman and sprinted towards Elon before standing in front of him. "You can't shoot them. I won't let you."

The man's eyes glittered with anger. "Step away from them, Lyron."

"If not for them, I would still be a Reaper slave. They freed me and destroyed a Reaper stronghold."

The man finally pointed his bow to the ground. "Is this true?"

Elon nodded. "It is."

"I see. Then perhaps we ought to take this matter up with the council." The man nodded towards the other men. "Get the weighted chains and fasten their ankles. If they resist, use the razor wire."

Lyron clenched his fists. "Father, I refuse to allow this. They should have a hero's welcome, not a prisoner's bindings."

The man, apparently Lyron's father, inclined his head. "I'm well aware of what you think. But this matter is no longer in your hands. I've taken your words into account, and now we'll let the council decide the matter."

Men approached them, their arms straining with the weight of chains. The thick links of the chains clinked and swayed with each of their steps.

Carissa swallowed thickly and glanced at Elon.

He only had time to squeeze her hand before the men surrounded them and began binding them. They pulled her arms in front of her and wove the chains around her wrists—all the way up to her elbows—and wrapped the excess length of the chain around her ankles. The weight of the metal links caused the chain to bite into her skin. She already felt twice as heavy. There was going to be no easy escape from these bindings.

Once the men finished, Elon grunted and rose to his feet. Carissa began to roll to her feet to do the same. Her legs clenched as she fought the weight dragging her down, but the chain was too heavy. She plopped back onto the ground, her chest heaving. With this much weight, she wouldn't be standing up anytime soon unless she had help.

"Allow me." Elon braced his feet, as much as the chains around his ankles would allow, and bent to offer Carissa a hand.

Once she'd clasped his hand, he hauled her to her feet, the muscles in his arms and shoulders tightening.

His gaze flicked to hers. "Like what you see?"

Carissa felt her face heat as she'd realized she'd been staring. "Elon." Would it kill him to wait to flirt until they were out of danger?

He answered her with a grin as their captors surrounded them.

One jabbed Elon's side with an arrow. "Start walking."

Another man began to do the same to Carissa, but Elon pulled her towards him before the arrow could touch her. "Now, gentlemen, where are your manners? This is the Queen of Nysia you're dealing with."

The man grunted. "Just walk."

Carissa began to shuffle forward. The chains were so heavy that simply lifting her foot made the muscles in her legs seize. How far could she walk in these? Elon hovered nearby. He obviously had the strength to quicken his pace, but he likely lingered in case he needed to catch her.

Carissa couldn't help but smile at him, even as the exertion dampened her hairline. So long as he remained with her, she could tolerate any trials she faced.

They approached a large tent, and a few of their captors moved ahead of them to open the tent flap. Though Carissa didn't appreciate being a prisoner, she was thankful for the gesture. She doubted she had enough strength to lift her arms and move the tent flap aside herself. They entered, and it took Carissa's eyes a few moments to adjust to the dimmer lighting.