Taking Chances

Author's Note: Honestly, I'm so tired right now, I think I'm going to fall asleep on the keyboard. 😂 Just finished a final, and I'm prepping for another one tomorrow. :P But I promised you guys I'd get you this chapter, so here it is. And yeah, no sneak peek. No proofing. I'm mentally maxed out at the moment.

And here's a YouTube video of the absolute worst comments I've gotten on WattPad. Make that'll make up for the no sneak peek.

***

Carissa twined her arms around Elon's neck. "Had enough beauty sleep?"

He rested his head against her chest, sighing softly. "I'm getting there..."

"Do you need anything?" She ran her fingers through his short hair.

"Some food would be wonderful."

She began to roll out of bed, but he wrapped her in his arms. Though his grip was weakened, she didn't try to break free. "I thought you wanted food."

"I do." He leaned over her, a playful curve to his lips. "But I also want to hold you—right now."

Carissa laughed, happy to have her silly, flirtatious husband back. Sometimes she forgot just how much she loved him. "Well, you can either have your food now or you can hold me now, so which is it?"

"Hmmm. That's a rather hard decision." He leaned closer, nudging his forehead against hers. "What if I taste you now, then the food later?"

Heat surged to her cheeks, even as delight danced in her chest. "Elon!"

He nipped at her ear, his breath warm on her skin, and whispered, "Just a nibble."

Before her blush could burn hotter, someone said, "I've always wondered how baby Reapers are born."

Carissa twisted around. The man was still there, tied in a chair as she'd left him. She sighed in relief. "First of all, we're not Reapers. Secondly, we weren't about to–to—"

"Fornicate?"

"We're married."

"And there's no need demonstrate your marital status in front of me. Have you no decency?" He snorted. "I suppose that's a silly question, considering you're a filthy wh—"

"Enough." Elon sat up, the blanket falling to his hips. Carissa considered trying to calm him, but with his thunderous expression, she thought better of it.

Amusement brightened the man's expression and lifted his eyebrows. "And who are you to tell me 'enough'? Do you usually remain abed and let your woman do your fighting for you?"

Elon didn't answer, his expression cold and hard as stone.

"And what are you going to do if I continue to insult her, hmm? Get out of your cozy bed and fight me?" He smirked. "I don't think so. I could call her anything I desired, and you could do nothing. Nothing." His scathing gaze landed on Carissa. "Come here and put that mouth to better use, you—"

Silver flashed through the air, and the dagger flew over the man's head, then thunked into the wooden wall behind him. The middle strip of the man's hair was a bit flatter than before.

Elon's smile was cold. "Should you slander her again, I'll be sure to aim a bit lower next time."

His mouth snapped shut, the muscles in his jaw clenching.

"And a warning for you: should you so underestimate me again, I won't be as merciful next time."

Elon glanced at her, his icy expression melting so quickly she could have imagined it. "Would you mind getting me that food, love? I think it best that I regain my strength as quickly as possible."