Accused: Part 2

Sir Valen's jaw tightened. "That's ridiculous."

Another knight stepped forward, standing alongside Quint. "But is it entirely impossible?"

All the words rung in her ears like they were echoes from far away. Surely they weren't contemplating imprisoning her.

Quint stepped forward. "It'd just be a precaution, a way to get the truth before the King tries to cover her tracks."

Sir Valen stepped more fully in front of her, so she had to peer around him to see the others. "You mean to interrogate the Queen?"

Heat surged in her chest, wrapping itself around her heart and warping its beat, so thick and heavy she could barely breathe.

Armor clinked, accompanied by a whisper of movement as the knights around them shifted uneasily.

Quint shrugged. "Tergan gave my wife herbs to help with the delivery of our son. Without them, she likely would have died." His face became grave, his expression severe in the torchlight. "I want justice for his death, Valen."

The man beside Quint spoke, "And he helped me pick flowers to woo my wife."

Another knight stepped closer. "He helped my father when his crops were dying during the drought."

Quint nodded as the men spoke up. "And if there's a chance that she was responsible for his death, we can't allow her to escape under the King's pardon."

Sir Valen placed rested his hand on his sword's hilt. The action was casual enough, but the other men tensed. "The King's word is law, and we are to trust him."

Quint's hand slid to his own sword. "Everything is always so black and white to you, Valen. What the King says is right, and if the world is against him, then the world is wrong." He unsheathed his sword, his movement possessing the fluidity and grace of melted silver. "We're taking the Queen, Valen. If you try and stop us, there will be bloodshed."

Valen unsheathed his own sword, and the men's gazes locked. "And the rest of you? Are you going to help me defend the Queen?"

They all avoided Valen's gaze.

"I see. In that case," Valen lifted his sword, and the other men tensed, "I relinquish my sword." He stabbed his sword into the black soil before pivoting and leaving.

Carissa stared at the sword he'd left behind, then at his back. Surely he couldn't be leaving her. She wanted to yank the sword out of the ground and arm herself. Or perhaps chase Sir Valen. But uncertainty and fear froze her to the spot.

And then the men were upon her.

Carissa finally moved but too late. She lunged away from them just as one caught her around the waist. She kicked at a man's knee as he moved towards her. She raked her nails across one's arm as he bound her hands.

Within seconds, she found herself trussed up like a pig ready to be roasted on a spit.

Though energy thrummed through her veins, she suppressed the urge to continue struggling. It was time she stop fighting like an animal and use words befitting a Queen.

She cleared her throat. "We could just speak about this."

Quint's lips slashed downwards in a snarl. "Speaking ceased to be an option once you murdered Tergan."

Two knights seized her arms on either side.

She craned her neck to keep Quint in her line of vision as he stood behind her. "But you're assuming things. Why would I intentionally arouse such suspicion were I the murderer? Why would I return?"

Quint shrugged. "Why don't you tell us, princess?"

She opened her mouth, but the words lodged in her throat. If she told them she was trying to mislead the women so they wouldn't get hurt, they would realize she was covering for the murderer. True, it was because Elon had said the murderer's identity should remain a secret, but then they would place the blame on Elon.

Quint's eyes narrowed. "Even if you're not the murderer, you know something about whoever has done it, don't you?"

That his identity must be kept a secret. That he was a Reaper. "N–No." But judging from his expression, the truth was already written on her face.

"You're lying. You know something." His eyes glinted in the dark. "You were trying to draw those women away from the truth, weren't you? Because you know who the murderer is."

She shook her head. "I don't know who he is." Which was true enough.

Quint's expression shuttered—at this point, there was nothing she could do or say to reach them. "Men, as you can see, she's been concealing the identity of the murderer. Perhaps because she's in league with the murderer. Whatever the reason, the only way we'll find out is if we pry the truth from her ourselves."

If not for the men holding her on either side, she would have swayed with dizziness. Her tongue felt like a thick wad of stiff cotton in her mouth.

This wasn't happening.

It was all a nightmare. She'd wake up. She'd run to Elon and cry. He'd comfort her and tell her it was a dream.

Her toes brushed the dirt is they dragged her. The trees whispered a soft lullaby to the bushes below. The wind wove through the branches, smoothed the hair from her forehead. And then her feet grazed the cobblestone as they strode into the palace. Then marble. Then stairs. More stairs. Then stone.

It was cold, so cold. Their steps echoed down the long, dark tunnel. Iron bars raced past them as they walked, merciless iron bars with no sign of rust, decay, or weakening.

Hinges creaked as a metal door swung open. They pitched her into the darkness of the cell. Carissa lifted her hands to break her fall, only remembering too late that they were bound. Her shoulder crashed into the stone, the force of the impact jarring her entire body, making her teeth clamp down on her tongue. A coppery tang flooded her mouth.

A pair of boots entered her line of sight. "Men, guard the entryway, lest Valen try to return and sway us from our purpose."

Most of them marched away, until only two remained. One cleared his throat. "What about the Queen?"

"I'll take care of her." Quint's voice sent a chill down her spine.

"But if the morn comes and the King sees marks on her..."

"I'll use caution and avoid leaving marks when possible."

A long silence followed. "And when not possible?"

"Then I'll leave them where none can see."

Her teeth began to chatter, the ice of his words seeping into her chest, the chill of the stones soaking her skin.

"But they're husband and wife. Surely he'll see—"

"And they keep separate quarters. They're not intimate, Tian; he won't see anything he's not supposed to. And I'll ensure she keeps this little encounter to herself. You need not fear repercussions."

The other knight breathed deeply. "But Quint, surely she didn't—"

"Don't go all mushy on me. You refused to side with Valen, which means you've sided with me. It's too late to back out of this now. You've made your decision. Now get to your posts and leave me with the Queen."

Another long silence. Then fading footsteps. The boots approached closer, and Carissa suppressed a flinch. The cold was creeping beneath her skin, freezing her limbs. She hadn't felt this afraid and helpless since Akar had taken her to bed.

Quint curled his fingers around a fistful of her hair, making her scalp ache. He forced her gaze up to his. "Well, your majesty. It's just you and me now."

***

Author's Note: You no idea--no idea--how tempted I was to not leave a sneak peek for this chapter ;) I mean, look at that cliffhanger! It's beautiful. But, alas, I did leave a sneak peek, which you'll find on my profile.