Warned

She was so exhausted she was ready to fall onto the ground and cry. She had been walking all day, and she hadn't seen a single sign of Elon. Didn't he want her to find him? He had claimed he'd always love her. But maybe she had blown it. She'd told him to leave, after all. This was her fault.

She should have gone back to the camp and tracked Elon's steps from there, not wandered off into a random direction in the forest. Now night was approaching once more, and not only did she not know where she was, but she hadn't any supplies.

She would have kicked something had she the strength. And to think she had thought she was powerful enough to avenge the people of the caravan.

Though the darkness gradually obscured more of the forest, making her eyes strain to see amidst the shadows, she kept walking. If she stopped tonight, she wasn't sure she'd survive it. After all, there could be yare wolves lurking about. Or Reapers.

Her gaze dropped to her feet as she focused on placing one foot in front of the other. The balls of her feet burned with each step. Left. Right. She gritted her teeth, drew a sharp breath through her teeth, ignored the pain.

Left.

Right.

Left.

Right.

On the fifth step, she caught sight of a footprint, just before she stepped into it. She froze as her gaze followed the trail of footprints ahead of her. Someone had been here before. Now the question was who?

Perhaps Elon. Or an Esmerian. Or a Reaper.

She staggered to a halt, trying to think past the exhaustion turning her thoughts into muck. If it were Elon, following the footprints would be safe. If it were anyone else, she could just follow and see whether they appeared to be a friend or a foe. After all, there was no way they could know she'd be following them.

She trailed the footprints, her energy partially renewed by having a destination. Just as dark descended, she caught a whiff of smoke up ahead.

Her heart lurched in her chest. She wanted to dash through the forest and burst into the campsite. But what if it wasn't Elon? She treaded lightly until the smell of smoke thickened. Since the air itself was clear, it was likely a small camp fire.

A clearing finally appeared, and she peered at it from the safety of the trees.

It was a campsite. There was even a bedroll set out, and a piece of skewered meat cooking over the fire. Her stomach tightened with longing. Though she remained completely still, she saw no sign of people. She finally strode into the clearing and grabbed the meat where it cooked over the fire. The meat was stringy and tough. Likely it was an animal hunted from the forest and was composed of more muscle than fat.

Once she'd finished, she set the stick down and glanced around, wondering whose dinner she'd eaten. But the forest remained quiet. Perhaps Elon had gone hunting and had left it for her, knowing she'd come soon? But if so, why was there only one bed roll laid out?

Something wasn't right.

After waiting for an hour, she was so exhausted that she could barely keep upright. She dragged herself toward the bed roll, pulled off her boots, and slipped beneath the covers. Her feet brushed something, and Carissa stiffened, fearing it might be a creature seeking warmth. But it felt more like... paper.

Carissa reached her hand beneath the covers and grasped the paper. In the dying firelight, she could barely make out the words:

Carissa,

I miss you. I know it's only been two days, but I wish I there at the campsite, waiting for you. I know you're still struggling over what happened. I understand that. Just know that I love you as much as I ever have. And no, I haven't truly abandoned you. If you intend to follow me, I've prepared the way for you, leaving campsites for you that you'll reach each day just before nightfall. I've drawn circles around them, and so long as you remain within that circle at night, you'll be safe. Within three days, you'll reach a city. You can stay there for that night, but know that you'll be presented with a choice there that will further test you. And tomorrow night especially, please stay in the campsite, within the circle. No matter what tempts you, don't leave it until morning.

As far as when we'll meet again, that depends on you and your action during the nights to come. I know that's not a very concrete answer, and were you with me now, you'd likely scold me for being vague, as usual. I wish you were with me, even if only to tell me that. I sincerely hope to reunite with you soon. And even if I can't explain to you why certain things have happened, you're always more than welcome to talk to me about it. I know this is hard, and I don't want you to have to go through it alone.

Ever Yours,

Elon

Carissa hugged the note to her chest, his warnings causing unease to prickle her skin, but his comfort warming her heart. She didn't understand why Elon couldn't just explain things to her, but perhaps this was another way she could learn to trust him. Whatever happened tomorrow night and in the town, she would do her best to follow in Elon's footsteps.

***

Author's Note: The sneak peek is ready and waiting.