Seeking Justice: Part 2

Carissa clenched her jaw to keep it from dropping. "Aleck, she's a little girl, isn't she? Why would you accuse her of murdering him?"

Aleck's expression flushed red. "She didn't murder him. Whatever has happened, I know she's not at fault for it."

"Alright, killed then. How could she have assisted in killing him? And why?"

Aleck pursed his lips so tightly they nearly disappeared. "You have to promise you won't panic. Or arrest her."

Carissa arched her eyebrows. "But if she truly had a hand in murdering the gardener—"

Aleck straightened to his full height, barely above the small of her waist. "Promise."

Carissa nodded slowly. "I promise."

Aleck's shoulders slumped in relief. "Thank you... I think she has powers."

"Powers?"

Aleck nodded. "Like Elon, but I think her power has something to do with sun light."

"Sunlight? Why would you think that?"

He shrugged. "Call it a hunch." Carissa's face scrunched in confusion, and he continued, "You'll know what I mean when you see her."

"So if you don't want me to arrest her... what do you want me to do?"

"Whenever I try to corner her and get her to talk, she always finds some sort of chore to do or the head maid scolds her for slacking. But if you could summon her to your rooms, she'd have no option but to answer your questions. And I think if you could offer her your protection, despite whatever she's been forced to do, she'd reveal what has happened."

Carissa plucked a leaf from a bush and twirled it between her fingers. "I see. Perhaps I should tell Elon about this first."

But Aleck was already shaking his head. "I know you'd grant her mercy, but Elon... can be unpredictable at times."

"You truly think that's for the best?"

Aleck nodded.

"I see. In that case, I'll summon the girl. What's her name?"

"Lila." His face softened as he spoke it.

"And I'd imagine you'd want to be there?"

He nodded.

"Then come to my quarters two hours past noon."

"I'll be there." Aleck began to head back towards the palace, but stopped. "And one more thing: keep the curtains closed."

"Why?"

"If she gets angry, we don't want her to have access to sunlight." Without offering further explanation, he disappeared into the garden.

***

Carissa swiped her moist palms on her dress. One deep breath, two deep breaths, three. She rapped on the door.

The murmuring voices within fell silent.

A knight opened the door. "Your majesty?"

She smiled. "Is Elon here?" A silly question. After several inquiries, she knew for a fact he was here. She peered more deeply into the room, where several nobles were seated at a long table, with Elon at the head. Elon had invited her to these meetings before, but she'd always declined. As uneducated as she was in protocol, she'd likely embarrass herself.

Elon stood, shoving his chair back. "Carissa?"

She slipped into the room. "I hope I'm not intruding."