Beginning to Bond: Part 2

The Next Day

Carissa's eyes fluttered open. The cave light was still dim, the embers from the fire flickering, but her well-rested body told her it was morning.

She arched her back and began to reach her arms over her head, only to stop when Elon shifted against her. His head rested on the softness of her chest, his warm sigh ghosting past her neckline, a neckline that had been well warmed from his kisses last night. A blush smothered her cheeks as she tried—and failed—to suppress more wanton feelings.

Admittedly, not everything last night had been pleasant. There had been a few moments when panic had nearly strangled her, her eyes tempted to tears. Once she'd even burst out sobbing. But that was only until Elon had gentled his touch and stroked her cheek, often speaking with her until she calmed and saying silly things until she smiled, reminding her each time who kissed and held and loved her.

Despite the panic attacks, last night was a memory that warmed her even now. If this foreplay was so pleasurable, bonding had to be even more so. Perhaps she could find a way to thank him for last night, to give him as much pleasure as he'd given her. 

Carissa slipped her hands beneath Elon's shirt, running her palms up the ridges of his torso. Elon startled awake with a sharp inhale.

He glanced at her, his eyes tinged with bloodshot. A smile eased across his lips. "Haven't had enough, love?"

She responded by gliding her lips along his collarbone.

Even as his mouth stretched in a yawn, his breath came faster and harder in his chest. "Do you have any idea how little I slept last night?"

Her movements slowed. Was he irritated at her for waking him? "And why was that?"

"Because I kissed and caressed the most beautiful woman in Nysia until late into the night. And then you know what was the worst part?"

She arched her eyebrows.

"When we stopped, she had the audacity to wrap her lovely body around mine—tempting curves and all—and then fall asleep like that." He cupped the side of her waist. "I doubt I've ever experienced a crueler form of torture. It was hours—hours—until the beat of my heart slowed and the heat in my body ebbed enough for me to even feel tired."

She nipped her lower lip. Oops. She'd been so exhausted she'd simply collapsed against Elon. She hadn't thought Elon would have any harder of a time falling asleep than she.

"Now you'll have to forgive me if I'm simply too tired to return your kisses." And then he rolled over onto his back, appearing like he'd succumbed to sleep, but not before she caught a glint in his eyes.

She gaped at him. He'd never outright rejected her advances. Even when he thought it was too soon, he'd allowed her to give him what physical affection she was able.

And then she remembered his eyes: their playful spark, silently daring her. Elon had said something the other night about games. He'd said bonding was about more than the simple action itself—it was the entwining of two souls—and they ought to spend time on the little things like kisses, talking, compliments, and games. Usually games meant lots of teasing and playfully running from the other, even when all you wanted was to be caught.

Perhaps he wasn't really rejecting her; he was playing a game. And this time he was the one "running," which meant she'd have to pursue him.

Carissa inched closer to him. As soon as she placed her hand on his chest, he rolled onto his side. She huffed and crawled over him as his chest rumbled beneath her with silent chuckles.