7-Not an even Playing Field

Okay, guys. So first of all, I'm so sorry for not updating in like a bajillion years :(

The good news is I'm done with my finals, so I'll be able to update moree!!! Anyway, hope you like this chapter :)

A/N: As promised, here's another update :)

Back in the viewing room, the mothers were bonding over their indignity about Kendall's solo.

"I just can't understand why Kendall always gets the busy, overworked jazz dances," Jill Vertes complained. The five original moms were squashed into the waiting room, where they had to press their faces against the glass window and crane their necks just to catch a glimpse of their children. "Especially when Kalani's gotten such a clean, elegant contemporary routine. There's no question who'll win this."

"Are you saying that Kalani Hilliker will beat your own child, no question?" demanded Melissa.

"I'm just stating facts. I've been trying to tell Kendall that Abby's had it in for her for a long time, but she just doesn't believe me." Jill sighed. "One day Abby will just expel her, and it looks like it'll be soon."

"She can't get rid of Kendall," said Holly, but it was obvious she was only uttering those words because it was her duty as a kind mother. Whether they said it or not, it was clear that the first child to be kicked off the original team would definitely be Jill's daughter.

Downstairs, Kendall and Kalani had rejoined Abby in the studio. The first time they'd tried to learn their solos, Abby had been interrupted by an urgent phone call about the competition. By the time it was over, Abby had something else to do. So now she was back to torture Kendall some more. She was already screaming.

"Kendall, you already learned this routine! Why in the world are you marking it? If Maddie was doing this dance, she'd be performing full-out, every time. Do your freaking leaps. An aerial shouldn't be hard. Just do it."

The mothers saw Kendall's lips move, but they weren't sure what she said. Obviously, it didn't appease Abby, because she just yelled louder. To Kendall's credit, the girl just stood and took it. Jill knew that just a few months ago, Kendall would be crying, and Abby wouldn't hesitate to label her the baby of the team.

"Abby is really taking this too far," decided Melissa. "Do you think Kendall's ever going to get some positive feedback?"

Holly grimaced. "She barely gives Chloe positive feedback. I'm sorry, Jill, but if Chloe doesn't get it, Kendall won't."

"Yeah, only Maddie, right?" Christi smirked.

"It's not my fault that my daughter is talented," Melissa snapped. "What, do you think I bribe Abby to favor her?"

"Considering the money you waste on those billions of private lessons you force on that girl, I would call that a bribe. No normal person needs that many classes. She's probably going crazy."

"Maddie loves to dance!" Melissa responded.

"Have you ever asked her?" Jill inquired. Melissa shot her a confused glance, and Jill shrugged. "Maybe she wants to play soccer or basketball. How would you know?"

☆☆☆☆☆☆

"You need to move faster, Kendall! Give Kalani a chance to learn her dance, since you plainly don't have the capability to perform yours!" Abby waved her hand and turned off the music. "I mean it, Kendall. Go sit down. If we have time, I'll keep working with you later.” She twirled to face Kalani. "Are you ready?"

"Yes, Miss Abby," Kalani replied quickly, nodding respectfully at Kendall as she stood up. Kalani knew that she was better at dancing than Kendall, but that came with her extra experience and training. She probably wasn't nearly as good as Kendall at age eleven or twelve.