Chapter Seven

On 6/12/18 I changed the lengths of all the chapters to be more effective in interest and reading. If you don't know where you left off, message me and I will let you know where to start back off at. Sorry for the inconvenience:)

****

"How long are you writing your essay?" I asked Marla and Aria. They were both currently standing with me beside my car as I waited for my brother to join me.

"I don't know," Aria replied. "Like one page."

"You can't write a whole essay on one page," Marla told her while pulling her dirty-blonde hair up in a ponytail.

"Fine," Aria sighed, pushing her red hair behind her ears. "I'll write two pages."

I rolled my eyes at her and happened to glance to my right as I leaned back against my old, little blue car. Miles Anderson was leaning back against his silver Porsche, his cold green eyes directly on me. His arms were crossed and his face expressed annoyed hatred. Honestly, I knew he was mad that I stood up to him, but he looked way too angry for the circumstances.

"You ready to go?" my brother's voice broke me out of my daze.

I jerked my head in his direction and found Jaxon walking up to me with a smile on his face. "Yeah, let's go." He tosses me the keys and I catch them with ease. "I'll see you guys later," I told Aria and Marla. They said their farewells and I watched Marla start walking to her twin, Holden, who was standing across the parking lot talking with a couple boys I didn't know, and Aria confidently walk to her Volvo with a sway of her hips.

As soon as I climbed into the car and closed the door, Jaxon spoke up. "Are you worried about Miles?" he asked completely serious.

I watched him glance out the back window and I followed his gaze. Miles was still staring in our direction, in the same position I had seen him before. "No, are you?" I replied, not completely sure in my answer.

"Yeah," he said honestly. "A little."

"Why?"

"You openly insulted him in front of the whole cafeteria, Lydia," he reminded me. "A guy like him isn't going to just let that go."

My brother's hazel eyes stared into my own baby blue ones. "I know," I told him. "But trust me, I'm not worried too much about it. I trust Kason to handle him."

"We barely know him."

"I know, but so far, he has proved to be the only one that Miles is somewhat scared of, so I think we should trust his word when he says he will make sure Miles leaves us alone."

He sighed, but nodded. "Just promise me you won't spontaneously decide to trash talk Miles again."

I smiled and started the car. "I can't do that."

#

I walked up to the stranger's front door which was at the end of the same street I lived on. It was the nicest house on the street. It wasn't large, but it was two-stories tall and a lot bigger than my own. The exterior was beige and had chocolate brown shutters and shingles.

I knocked thrice on the door and it wasn't a minute until a man opened the door. He looked to be in his early forties, and he stood tall and broad. His chocolate brown hair was cut in a buzz cut and his brown eyes were large and had a kind glint in them. "I assume you are Lydia King?" he asked. After I nodded, he held out his hand for me to shake and smiled brightly. "I'm Daniel Wesley. You can call me Daniel."