Chapter Forty-Six

We all started filing into our separate cars. "Lydia, Aria! Ride with us!" Lucy called, before Kason helped her into the back of his Charger. I wanted to keep my distance from Kason, but unfortunately, the four-year-old was impossible to say "no" to. After looking at Aria, she nodded and we both walked toward the black car.

"I will pick up Lucas!" Holden said to his girlfriend.

"Okay!" she called back as he, Marla and Gavin climbed into the Jeep. I guess mine and Gavin's car was staying here.

"I'll sit in the back with Lucy," I announced, not wanting to be stuck in the front with her older brother.

"Nonsense," Aria said, making her way into the backseat. "I'll ride back there with her."

I glared at my best friend, but she just grinned in return. We both knew she was doing this in order for me and Kason to talk. Nobody said a word as I climbed into the passenger's seat beside Kason. Once Lucy was secure in her car seat and everyone was buckled, Kason started the car and drove down the street.

The drive to the bakery and café was quiet. There was so much tension between Kason and me that nobody knew how to start a conversation. "Kay, why aren't you talking?" Lucy's high voice filled the air. I stared out the window, curious as to how the boy beside me was going to reply.

"I'm just thinking about all the donuts we are about to eat," he said, making me fight back a grin. I missed him. It had only been a day since he found out and got mad, but I already missed him.

Lucy giggled loudly. "I love donuts."

I snuck a glance at Kason. It turned out that he had the same idea because he quickly looked at me, too, before immediately looking back at the road. I fought back the hurt forming back in my chest. It was like he couldn't even look at me.

As soon as we arrived at the bakery, Lucy dragged Kason away to get her a donut. Since the others had to pick up Lucas, we were the first to get there. I went ahead and found an empty round booth and sat down to reserve everyone seats. The place wasn't that busy, which I enjoyed. I never liked being in a place full of people.

In just a few short seconds Aria joined me. "I'm sorry," she apologized immediately. "I thought that if you sat up front with him then you would at least end up exchanging a few words."

I shrugged. "He's upset, and I don't blame him. It's not every day that the girl you like turns out to be a fraud."

Her green eyes looked at me sadly and she frowned. "Don't put yourself down."

Just a minute later, my brother, Holden, Marla, and Lucas walked in the front door. In an instant, Lucas caught sight of his sister and he ran up to our table, the color of his hair and eyes looking identical to her own. "Can I get a couple cookies and a hot chocolate?" the ten-year-old asked excitedly.

Grinning in amusement, she nodded and pulled out her wallet before counting out the cash. Holden walked up behind the boy and refused to take the cash his girlfriend handed to him. "I'll pay for it." Then, he led Lucas away to the display and register.

A moment later, Gavin showed up and slid around the seat to sit beside me. He handed me a hot chocolate. "Here. I figured you'd want this."

I smiled at my brother and accepted it. "Thanks." It wasn't a few minutes until all of our friends were sitting around the large round booth. I was in between Gavin and Holden, with Lucas beside Holden, then Aria. Sitting beside my brother was Marla, Lucy, and then Kason.

"I can't believe you guys are really moving away," Aria said, making Kason's head point in my direction. Apparently, he didn't know of the plans. I chose to ignore him. If he really cared that I was moving away again, then he would talk to me about what happened.