Chapter Twenty-Three

I posted chapter 22-23 so make sure you read them in order!!

"Just a reminder, the parent/teacher meeting begins at four this evening. There are no scheduled appointments. You and your parents are welcome to come in any time after four to talk to any or all of your teachers," my fourth period teacher said. "I hope to see you all here." Her eyes lingered on me for a little longer than the other students around me.

At that time, the bell rang dismissing fourth period, and all the students in the room grabbed their already packed bags and filed to the door. Picking up my backpack, I instead walked up to the teacher's desk. "Ms. King," she greeted me with a fond smile. "What can I do for you?"

I grinned in return. "I just thought I would let you know that I won't be at the teacher meeting this evening, considering my parents aren't in the picture anymore," I said, sounding defeated.

Her smile wavered. "You have an older brother, am I correct? Who's also in your grade?" I nodded. "Well then he is more than welcome to come in if he wishes to do so. You can even meet all of his teachers if you'd like." I nodded again, but knew that we wouldn't be coming.

I turned toward the door. "Have a good evening, Mrs. Chester," I told her.

"You as well, Lydia. I hope to see you and your brother this evening," she smiled kindly. I returned the gesture, but couldn't fight the guilt that etched into my chest, knowing that she will be disappointed when we don't show our faces.

I made my way to lunch, along with the rest of the students in my grade. It wasn't long before I was sitting at my usual lunch table surrounded by my friends and my brother. "I'm so not excited for my parents to figure out that I've been lying about my grades," Aria grumbled, picking her spoon around the mashed potatoes in front of her.

Marla patted her shoulder and Kason looked between me and my brother. "What are you two going to do? Are you going?"

Jaxon looked at me. "Do you want to go?"

I immediately shook my head. "No."

"Are you sure?" Jaxon asked.

"I'm sure your teachers would love to meet Jaxon, and vice versa," Kason added.

I shrugged, the probability of it not bothering me. "I'd rather just stay home."

My brother nodded, understanding completely, then continued eating. I knew it didn't make a difference to him whether we went or not. Kason, however, kept his gaze on me for a little longer, for a reason I didn't know.

#

After school, while everyone else attended the parent/teacher conference, I decided that I would take the time to go to the grocery store, and Jaxon wanted to go to the gym. "Are you sure, you don't mind going alone?" Gavin asked me as I slowed the car to a stop outside the gym's main entrance.

I nodded. "Yeah, I don't mind."

"And you'll call me if you think you're being followed? Or if you think someone is watching?" I saw the worry in his eyes. It was the same expression he always had when I was going somewhere alone.

"Yes, Gavin, I'll call you if even the slightest detail seems suspicious," I assured him.

With a sigh, he finally nodded and climbed out of the passenger's seat, taking his gym bag out with him. "Text me when you get there and when you are leaving." With a small, assuring smile, I nodded. With that, he sent me a closed lip smile and jogged off into the gym.