Chapter Forty-Three

I walked out of the school and made my way toward my brother and our car, when a voice sounded from behind me. "Wanna ride with me?"

I looked over my shoulder to see Kason smiling at me. After grinning and nodding back, I turned to Jaxon. "I'm going with Kason. I'll meet you back at the house."

He nodded in return and tossed his backpack inside the car. "Aria's coming, right?"

I bobbed my head. "Yeah, everyone is going straight to the house."

"Alright. See you in a bit."

I followed Kason to his car and as I buckled up my seat belt and he started the car, he got a text message. He stared at his phone for a moment as he buckled up. "Do you mind if we stop at my house for a minute?" Kason asked me. "I need to drop my laptop off to my dad. His is glitching out and he has some work stuff to do."

"I don't mind."

As Kason drove to his house, I fumbled with my fingers, feeling extremely anxious. How will he react when I tell him the truth? Kason must've sensed that I didn't feel like talking because we went the whole drive without saying a word.

Once we pulled into his driveway, he grabbed his laptop and its charger from his backpack. I watched a new, silver truck pull into the driveway behind us. A familiar blonde was sitting in the driver's seat. "What's he doing here?" I asked Kason.

He shrugged, looking back at Miles through the rearview mirror. "I don't know. Let me give this to Dad real quick. I'll be right back." I watched Kason leave the car and jog inside his house.

While Kason was out of sight, Miles exited his vehicle and walked up to my window, which I rolled down to talk to him. "What are you doing here?" I immediately asked him.

He shrugged his shoulders and leaned against the car door. "I just thought I would give you and Kason a visit," he replied. "Have you told him?"

I exhaled. "No. I told you earlier, I'm working on it."

He stared at me. "You should have worked faster."

His choice of words made me furrow my eyebrows. "What?"

Miles didn't say anything more as Kason emerged from his house and made his way back into the driver's seat of the Charger. "Hang in there, Delilah."

I stilled. My heart pounded in my chest, harder than ever before. No, no, no. Not now, not now.

Kason scoffed and buckled his seatbelt. "She's lived here for like two months now, Miles; the least you could do is learn her name." Miles just smirked at him.

"We are actually late for meeting up with our friends, so if you could leave us alone, that would be great," I snapped at the blonde.

Looking at me, he grinned. "Why would I do that? Delilah, I'm just trying to play my part."

A light thump filled the air as Kason grabbed a hold of the steering wheel, looking like he was getting frustrated. "Why do you keep calling her that?"

"Because that is her name," Miles answered simply.

"No, it isn't."

"Don't believe me? Ask her."

Kason then looked at me, silently asking the dreaded question. I immediately shook my head. "Ignore him, Kason, he's just trying to start trouble," I said, backing out of the confrontation. This isn't how I want him to find out. He needed to know on my terms.

Miles shook his head at me, showing an amused smirk. "Whatever you say...I better skedaddle. I'll see you two around. Bye, Delilah. Tell Gavin I said 'hi'." With that, he turned and left, his expression never dulling as he climbed into his car and drove away.