Chapter Fifty-Eight

It's been two weeks since our friends came, and surprise visited us on Christmas. They had all stayed the night and we spent the next day just relaxing and hanging out, enjoying the time together. Today was the day that they had promised to come back and I was beyond excited. Yesterday, Daniel called and confirmed that the plans were still in motion, despite him still disagreeing on the idea. As Sheriff, he had the authority to keep them away from us, but he didn't. I guess he had a soft spot for all of us.

It had also been two weeks since we've heard anything about Charles. He is apparently laying low because he hasn't been seen since he was spotted leaving Ohio. Personally, I was just relieved that he hasn't yet entered Virginia. Daniel said that he would know if he did.

So, here I was, at seven in the evening, getting ready for a date with Kason. It was Friday, so all my friends had to attend school before they left for Virginia, though I believe they planned to leave early. They were supposed to get here around eight, where Kason was going to pick me up for a date, and the others would be here right after to hang out here, once they picked up a pizza. I decided to keep it semi-casual, wearing a pair of dark-washed skinny jeans and an off the shoulder grey shirt.

After I finished curling my hair, I walked into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water from the fridge. A knock sounded on the front door, making me furrow my eyebrows. He was early, wasn't he? Still excited to see him, I rushed to the door with a smile on my face.

Opening the door, I glanced down at the time on my phone. "Kason, you're early; you said you wouldn't pick me up until eight." A loud click filled the air, making me look up. Charles was standing there, pointing a gun at my chest. I froze in my tracks and my smile completely disappeared.

"Hello, Darling." I just stood there, too afraid to do anything. How was he here? Daniel said that he hadn't entered the state. He said that he would know immediately if he would've crossed over that state border. All this running—all this hiding, and he still found us in the end. "Where are your manners?" he asked. "Aren't you going to invite me in"

Stepping back out of the doorway, I breathed, trying to slow my heart rate but it was impossible. The man followed me inside and closed the door behind him. I inhaled in relief once I realized that he didn't lock it. That made for a quicker escape. "Where is Gavin?" he questioned me, looking around the house, keeping his gun raised.

"Out with his girlfriend," I lied, praying that Gavin would stay in his room.

"Is anyone else here?"

I shook my head, fighting back fearful tears. "No, it's just me."

He nodded once. "Good."

"What do you want?" I asked him, my voice shaky.

"To finish what I started," he said, facing me completely.

With the gun barrel still pointed at my chest, I was terrified by the thought that he could pull it any second. "We can figure everything out—no one has to get hurt," I tried telling him.

He tilted his head, holding a dangerous look in his hazel eyes. His black hair was combed neatly and looked well-groomed which was a look that I wasn't used to on him. Somehow, it made him creepier. "You're right," he agreed surprisingly. "No one has to get hurt. But that all depends on you. No one had to get hurt last time, but then you decided to intervene," he reminded me.

I stared at him with wide eyes, growing angry. "You killed mom."

His lips flattened to a tight line. "That didn't give you the right to intervene."