Chapter Thirteen

I posted chapters 12-13 so make sure you are reading them in order!

***

"Thanks for buying me dinner," I said, climbing out of Kason's car. "And for bringing me home." It was already starting to get dark outside. We had lost track of time chatting in the restaurant and ended up just sitting there for hours.

"Well I couldn't leave a pretty girl like you out there to fend for herself," he replied, grinning playfully. With that, he drove away and I was left blushing long after he was out of sight.

After going inside, I decided to just stay up and wait for my brother. He had already been at work for seven hours so I knew he would be home soon. In the end, I ended up falling asleep waiting for him once again, just like I had last time.

The sound of the front door closing woke me up. I rubbed my eyes and yawned as I listened to my brother's footsteps come closer. "Jaxon, what time is it?" I groaned.

"It's late," he replied. "Go back to sleep."

I didn't listen and stood from the living room couch. After turning on the room light, I gasped. Once again, he was covered in bruises. For a long moment, we both just stood there like deer in headlights, not knowing what to say to each other. This was the second time he had come home covered in wounds. I automatically assumed the worst, as any normal, worried little sister would do. "I swear you better not have gotten involved in some kind of gang," I warned. "Did you get into drugs? I'm going to kill you if you have...Gavin, we will pack up and leave right now."

I rolled his eyes. "I didn't get into a gang and I'm not involved with a drug dealer or drugs for that matter," he assured me.

I stepped closer to him, getting a better look at the large bruises on his face. "Then what happened?" He turned around and started walking to his room without answering my question. "Gavin!" I called, chasing after him.

"We'll talk about this later," he said, closing and locking his bedroom door behind him.

"No, we need to talk about this right now!" There wasn't a response. "Gavin!" After realizing he wasn't going to talk to me until morning, I groaned and made my way to my own room. I would figure out what was going on with him.

#

The next morning, Gavin was long gone by the time I got up. I found a note on the table explaining that he went to work. So much for talking about it in the morning. Fortunately, he was picked up by a friend or grabbed a cab because he left our car in the driveway. After getting ready, I decided to drive into town and to his work. I was determined to figure out what was happening to him every time he went to work.

I walked into the family restaurant Gavin once told me he got a job at, and made my way to the first worker I spotted. The woman greeted me with a smile and asked how she could help me. "I'd like to talk to Jaxon, please."

Her black brows scrunched together. "Who?"

"Jaxon King. He's been working here for about a month now," I clarified.

She shook her head with an apologetic smile. "No one works here by that name."

"Are you sure? His first day was November second."

"Sorry," she said. "We haven't hired anyone new in the last three months."

I nodded, my lips curling into a closed-lip fake smile. "Thank you anyway," I said politely before turning around and leaving the building.

I know we keep too many secrets in order to stay safe, but we never keep secrets from each other. Him lying to me about work didn't settle well in my heart. I was betrayed. I was disappointed. I was mad.

Driving down the road, I knew I was driving too fast, but I honestly didn't care. The only thing on my mind was getting answers from my brother. I was hoping he was home, although I knew it was a long shot. Pulling into the driveway, I saw Kason's black Charger in the driveway. After parking and ripping my keys out of the ignition, I stomped my way up to the front door and inside.

My brother and Kason were standing in the kitchen, immersed in some kind of conversation. I didn't care that Kason was there. I didn't care if blowing up at my brother in front of him was going to embarrass Gavin or myself. "You are going to tell me what in the world is going on," I spoke, with fury in my eyes. "Right now."

"What are you talking about?" Kason asked, realizing something serious was about to go down.

My eyes remained on my brother the whole time. "I'm talking about how Jaxon lied to me about where he worked and how he keeps coming home covered in bruises," I explained. "We don't lie to each other Jaxon. We never have before and we weren't supposed to start now."

He raised his hands in surrender. "I know, I'm sorry, but I had to."

I shook my head. "Just tell me what in the world is going on with you."

He exchanged an uneasy look with Kason. After a moment, Kason nodded. "Jaxon wasn't lying when he said he got a job." I stared between the two boys, not knowing what was about to be thrown at me. "He got a job in street fighting."

I was taken aback and didn't speak for a long moment, not knowing if they were pulling my leg or not. They were serious. "Street fighting? Are you crazy?" I yelled. "How in the world did you get involved in street fighting?"

Kason stepped toward me. "It's okay. I've been doing it for years, and I've been doing just fine."

I stared at him. "It's dangerous."

"Only if you don't do it right."

"Well, it looks like he hasn't been doing it right considering he's been coming home beaten to the pulp," I said.

Kason took a deep breath. "He's going to get better soon. I'm training him," he informed me.

I crossed my arms. "What qualifies you to train him?"

"Kason is undefeated," my brother joined in. "He's known as 'Enigma'."

"Is that why everyone is scared of you?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "No one knows I'm Enigma unless I'm close friends with them. I wear a mask when I fight so no one knows that it's me. I constantly have enemies and I want everyone I love to remain safe. Protecting my identity makes it possible." I nodded, hoping my brother was smart enough to wear a mask.

"Then why is everyone in town scared of you?"

He smirked. "My bad boy qualities."

I rolled my eyes at his high ego and then turned back to my brother. "How did you discover street fighting in the first place?"

"I overheard Kason and Holden talking about it when I went into town to look for a job," he explained.

"It makes good money," Kason added.

"I thought we could earn quick money and be able to live comfortable," Jaxon said.

I looked between them both, hating the idea of street fighting. One: it is illegal. Two: it's extremely dangerous. If you make enemies with the wrong person, it could be deadly.

"Okay," I sighed, looking at Kason. "But you better train him in every little bit of spare time you have because I don't want my brother to end up dead."

He nodded. "I'll take care of him. Nothing will happen to him on my watch."

***

Street fighting?? Wow. Did anyone call it??

If you enjoyed, don't forget to VOTE!

Next few chapters will be up next Friday!

Thanks for reading:)

~Emily