Chapter Forty

Most of my time was spent sitting on the couch and staring into empty space while I waited for Gavin to come home. It was already dark outside and since he was hanging out with Marla, I had no idea when to expect him home. After a while, I texted Holden and asked him to call Kason, but according to him, he didn't answer his call either. I was worried. I had no idea where Kason was and I had no idea why he suddenly left. Along with him, I couldn't get ahold of my brother and had no choice other than just sit here until he arrived home.

After a couple hours, Gavin walked through the front door. "Hey," he greeted, locking the door behind him.

"Where have you been?" I asked him, standing from the couch. "You haven't been answering your phone."

He placed his wallet and keys on the table. "I was helping Marla finish her Christmas shopping. Sorry, I had my phone on silent because Holden wouldn't stop calling me."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why was Holden trying to call you?"

He shrugged. "Something about Kason going missing or something of the sorts."

I sighed angrily. "Gavin, Kason stormed out of here, hours ago and no one has heard from him since."

He furrowed his brows, looking confused. "Did you make him mad or something?"

I shook my head. "No. He was happy not long before. He invited us over for Christmas, and then we were watching a movie when I fell asleep. After I woke up I was just about to completely spill the beans when he got some text and then ran out of our house."

"He invited us over for Christmas?"

I nodded. "Yeah, he did."

"That's so nice of him," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "Gavin, I don't know where he is," I remind him.

He stopped. "Have you tried calling Daniel?"

I shook my head. "No, I thought that would be my last resort. I don't want to be overreacting and call his dad if everything turns out to fine. Then I'll just seem like a stalker."

I didn't understand why, but at that moment, my brother smiled. "You really like this guy."

That made me grin. "Shut up." I playfully punched his arm. He dodged and pulled me into a headlock, ruffling up my hair. "Stop!" I laughed.

At that time, my phone began ringing. Immediately, Gavin left me be and I quickly pulled my phone out, hoping it was Kason. "Hello?"

"Delilah," Daniel greeted on the other end of the phone. "Is Kason still with you?"

"Daniel," I greeted, so Gavin would know who I was talking to. "No. earlier he ran out of here after reading something on his phone," I informed him. "I haven't heard from him since."

There was silence for a short moment until I heard Daniel sigh. "His mother died a couple hours ago." My heart sunk in my chest. "I tried calling him," he explained, "but he didn't answer, so I just texted him...But I haven't heard from him and he hasn't come home."

I ran my fingers through my hair, brushing it out of my face. "I'll try to find him," I promised. "How is Lucy doing?"

"Not good," he admitted. "But she will get through it. She just needs time."

"What about you?"

"I've seen this coming for years, Delilah. Although it wasn't a surprise for me, it still hurts," he said, "but I'll be okay, too. Just try to get a hold of Kason and check on him. I doubt he's doing well."