5.

It's been 3 days since Asher didn't come to my house. He called me the following morning and said he couldn't come because his grandma was in the hospital. I didn't say much. It's not like I want him to come to my house even his grandmother is sick. I understand his situation. I didn't been in the exact fear of whether this moment or next I'm going to lose someone. My pain, my life, everything was related to my family outside troubles never followed me, until now. My parents were with me but only at the dinner table. Our conversations were empty of any emotion. It's like we were merely doing our duties.

I was never close to my grandparents. They were living in peaceful countryside. They decided to move there. They want to live their last days in lasting peace — a place surrounded by nature. I never visited them. I did, but when I was too young. I didn't remember enough about them. But I do merely remember meeting with my grandmother. She visited me a few years ago. She is just like my mother except her old version. Narrow-minded. I think this runs in my family. It is quite possible that when I get to her age, I'll start feeling like my Mother and her Mother.

I don't want my daughter to feel like I felt when I was little. I don't wish for her the same thing, not able to trust anyone. I want her to feel secure around her family. I want to be her mother, but also her best friend, whom she can tell everything without fear.

I sighed wearily and got up from my bed. Since Asher also didn't come today so I was free. I didn't have enough things to do. I tried studying, but I kept reading the same page over and over again and didn't even realize it.

I don't want to admit this, but Asher got my attention right now. I don't know why I've been thinking about him. It's not like we are friends, but as a human, I care about him. I hope he's okay.

I picked up my phone and opened his contact number. I stared at it, don't know for how long. I desperately want to ask him. If he's alright or not But I don't have enough confidence to call him. I don't want to intrude on his personal life. I am just his temporary tutor.

I switched my phone off and threw it on the bed. It's so frustrating, I want to call him, but at the same time, I don't want to cross the limit. Running my hand through my hair as I got up from my bed and went downstairs. I need a strong coffee. After making my coffee, I was about to go to my room when I heard my landline ringing. Who is calling me at this time? It's at midnight.

Yeah. I know. These days no one typically has a landline, but my Mom is the reason why I have one. I walked towards where the landline was placed and set my coffee mug beside. I carefully picked up the phone.

"Hailey, My pumpkin. How are you?" Samantha.

"I'm fine. How are you, and why are you calling me on a landline?" I asked and sat on the couch beside the table. No one calls me on the landline except my Mom.

"Your phone is off, and I got so worried."

"Oh. Probably my battery is dead. "

We were talking about some random stuff. Mostly gossips. She told me that my mother was helping her in opening her makeup line. Cool. I guess. And about how she rejected two boys last week, and our conversation went on. She was talking, and I was listening attentively. Like usual. Until I heard my doorbell, who is here in the middle of the night? I got up from my place. To be honest, I was quite scared.

"Hailey, Is that your doorbell?" I heard Samantha.

"Yeah. Just wait for a sec. I'll call you back."

"No, wait, Hailey, don't cut the--" I didn't wait for Samantha to end the sentence and cut the call. I rushed to the door, and I was about to open the door when I stopped my self. Be cautious, Hailey.

I went to the window, which was right beside the main door and saw someone standing there. As soon as I saw the person's face, I rushed towards the door and opened it without hesitation.

"Ash--" he didn't even let me say a word and pulled me in a hug. I hugged him back. We were standing right in the middle of the doorway. My neighbor could easily see us, but at this moment, I don't care. All I care about Asher right now.

I tried to pull away, but he tightened his grip around me. I didn't do anything and melt in his embrace. I could hear his fast heartbeats. They were a melody to my ears. Something about him was different. Unique. After a while, he pulled away. He cupped my face with his hands and kissed me on the forehead. I looked in his eyes, and there was a pain.

"What happened?" I merely whisper. He sniffs. I pulled him in and closed the door behind us. I made him sit on the couch. I went to the kitchen and brought water for him. He took the glass of water from me and drank it. I took the glass from him and placed hit on the table. I sat beside him, and I don't know what came to me, and I took his hand in mine. He squeezed my hand and looked at me.

"I'm sorry I'd disturbed you at this hour. I don't know why am I here? I should probably go. " Asher confusingly said. It's like he doesn't even know what he is speaking at the moment. I grabbed his hand to make him stop leaving. I don't know what is right in this situation and what's not. All I know is that he wants me right now, and I won't let him suffer alone. I want to tell him that I am here for him.

We sat in silence beside each other. The sound of our breathing was in the room. I looked at him, his eyes were closed, head down.

"Asher..." I whispered and tried to get his attention. He opened his eyes and looked at me. His eyes hold the pain which I never had. I was lost in his eyes when I saw tears in his eyes.

"What happened, Asher? Tell me. Please," My voice was broken like I was about to cry. I don't know, but seeing like this made me wanna cry too. I tightly hold his hands in my mine. My eyes were never leaving his. He closed his eyes, which made me realize how long I was staring into his eyes. I brought my thumb to wipe the tear from his cheek. He held my hand there and kissed my palm, sending an electric current through my body.

"She is dead," whispered Asher, and hugged me. I hugged him and stroke his hair as he silently cried in my embrace. I would do anything for his comfort. We stayed like that for a long time until a call on my landline startled us and made us broke our hug. He sits back, lost in thoughts. I'd adjust my shirt and got up for receiving the call. It must be Samantha.

I picked up the receiver and heard Samantha's worried voice.

"Hailey! Are you okay? " She nearly shouted. I can sense how worried she is just for me. I didn't realize she cared that much for me.

"I am fine."

"Why you sound so sad? Tell me! If someone is making you say on gunpoint. I swear I am calling the police right now. Just hold on. Don't go anywhere. Okay."

"Samantha, listen to me. I promise I am fine. It was just..uh..some kids pranking. That's all. " I heard her, taking a deep breath.

"I promise. I am fine. I am just a little tired right now. I'll call you tomorrow. You should sleep too. Goodnight. "

"Okay. Be careful. Goodnight." She said, and we cut the call. After putting the receiver back, I looked at Asher, and he was asleep on the couch. I slowly walked towards him, tried not to wake him up.

I kneeled beside him and looked at his face. He seems like a peaceful child who falls asleep after a rough day. He was looking cute while sleeping. I was about to get up when he suddenly opened his eyes and looked at me, a little shocked.

"Sorry, I don't know how I fell asleep." He rubbed his eyes. I got up and sat beside him.

" It's okay. You should rest now. I have a guest room upstairs. "

"No, no. I should go home. It's getting late." He was about to get up when I put my hand on his shoulder, making him stop.

"That is why you should stay. It's late, and you shouldn't drive like this. Now, no arguments and come with me. " I got up and took his hand in mine, and we walked upstairs.

After showing him the guest room, I went back to my room and changed into my PJs. I didn't understand why he came to me when he has so many people to go. 

Please vote and comment.