6

A few weeks have been passed since Asher's Grandmother died, and he stayed here for the night. I still haven't figured out why he stays here, but I can tell we've started to develop a friendship between us. It feels good to have a friend. I know Asher would never accept me as his friend in public and don't want this attention. He has so many friends maybe just like that I'm his secret friend. But perhaps I am not his friend at all. Maybe I am his tutor, and he is being nice. He never notices me in school, and we just talk in my house. Yeah, I'm just his tutor.

Breaking the chain of thoughts, whether I am his friend or not, I went up and got ready for school. After changing into a basic white T-shirt and blue jeans, I left the room and went straight outside, skipping breakfast. Starting the car, I drive it to my school and parked it in the school parking lot.

I ordinarily went to my locker and grab books for my first lecture and went into my first classes. Sitting in my favourite first row, I put my bag beside me, trying to give hidden signals to everyone that don't sit here.

We had an English lecture and Mr. Johns, our English teacher, is a little late today. Everyone was chatting and yelling like weirdos. Guess they all are having fun. Huh.

I overheard two girls saying, who was sitting behind me. So it was difficult to ignore, or maybe I overheard it's about someone that intrigues me. They were discussing Asher.

"...Yeah, I noticed Asher seemed so quiet these days. Like someone has died in his family...he could totally share it with me, you know. I will help him reduce his pain..." and they started laughing and kept daydreaming about how they would "heal" him. I mentally rolled my eyes and tried to concentrate fiercely on my handwritten notes when I heard something else. I don't know where I was, why I didn't know about it but now.

"...Poor Candice. He broke up with her out of nowhere and didn't give her reason why. Just he said he needs to be alone. I am betting he is dating someone else, maybe his father's friend's daughter. "

" But Candice wasn't poor at all. She is from one of the wealthiest families in this town. What if Candice dumped him and makes him broke up with her in front of the school so she could get sympathy votes for homecoming Queen. "

Gossips.

Our English teacher hurriedly came into our class and start mumbling incoherently what he will teach today.

_____________

After a long day, it was finally a Maths lecture. I grabbed my books and walked into the class. As I entered the class, I saw Asher sitting on the second last bench and writing something on the book. I was about to look away when he looked up, and our eyes met. It was a surreal moment; I never felt like this. I could instantly feel my cheeks burning. I don't know how long we stared at each other, but it broke when someone who gave me a slight push. I looked behind me and saw Anna, our classmate, standing behind me, signalling me to get aside and let her come inside. Then I realized I was still standing in the door threshold.

Well, that was embarrassing.

I let her pass and walked to my seat and glanced eagerly at Asher before sitting. I saw him controlling his smile with his hand while writing with his other hand.

Uh. I am so stupid. I tried hiding my face with my hands when I know he can't see my face now. I am going crazy. Thinking about it all brought a gentle smile on my face, but Thank the universe before anyone could notice my weird behaviour, our Maths teacher walked in, and the whole environment changed.

Between our lectures, Mr. Mark asked a question from us and said who will solve this question on board. As usual, I instantly raised my hand. I knew the answer because of tutoring Asher and doing homework. I was somewhat expert in algebra now.