{ Chapter 5 }

I stare at my keyboard and allow my fingers to idle above the digits. My fingers take their time in typing out the number written at the top of my old Chem study guide. I make my way to the message box and hesitate yet again, only to type out the two numbers. My thumb hovers above the send button before I huff quietly and drop my phone onto my chest.

Do I really need to text him? Giving him my number gives him the power to contact me as often as he wants. It won't just be running into him once or twice a week coincidentally. What if I get attached to him? I've never been friends with someone I want to sleep with. The last thing I need is to get used to this boy. He'll probably realize I'm not as cool as he made me out to be and stop talking to me, which will definitely hurt.

I stare at my screen and let out a frustrated groan. I should just do it. I mean, we're friends anyway. Besides, I'm the queen of making bad decisions; what's one more? I pick up the phone, unlock it, and press send.

Felicity: 93

Immediately after it delivers, I chuck my phone to the other side of my bed and lock my eyes on the ceiling. It takes all of two minutes for me to get a response. I feel the vibration travel across my bed and glance at my orange case. When I give in and snatch my phone, I half expect him to be asking who the hell is texting him these random numbers at 11:30PM on a Sunday night but am proven wrong.

Cameron: It was definitely my last minute quizzing that helped.

I smile at my phone and hate myself for it. I allow myself to have this; at least he can't see me. I roll my eyes and type a reply, figuring he texted me back fast enough to get a quick response.

Felicity: Eh...I'm not too sure about that.

Cameron: You're probably right. Either way, I knew you could do it.

Felicity: Why thank you.

Cameron: You know what this calls for? Celebratory lunch tomorrow!

Cameron: As friends, of course.

I stare at his message and repress the urge to roll my eyes and smile. Of course he manages to turn any situation into a date proposal.

Felicity: What a shame; I have to work. I can't harshly reject you and send you running away from me.

Cameron: Dinner?

Felicity: Oh no, it seems as though I'm dozing off and falling asleep before I can answer your invitation.

Cameron: So it's not a no?

Felicity: But it's not a yes.

Cameron: I'll try again soon. Goodnight Flizzy.

I stare at his message and ignore the way a small smile spreads to my lips. I allow my fingers to hover over the keyboard before typing out a reply.

Felicity: Don't call me that.

I really shouldn't get used to this boy. I really, really shouldn't. We want different things from each other and settling for a friendship realistically won't cut it. I know it won't be long before we start to clash and the longer it takes, the more it's going to hurt. I shove those thoughts to the back of my mind as I tuck my phone under my pillow and let the small grin sit on my face.

+++

I'm sitting at work in a slightly frustrated state. I've been here for an hour and not a single person has even popped in. In fact, my boss hasn't even checked in with me to give me any tasks to complete. I've just been studying. Sometimes I wonder why this job even exists in the first place. All I do are small office tasks that she can definitely do herself. She may as well get rid of the middle man altogether and just put a sign on her door asking students to knock when they're ready to be seen.