{ Chapter 10 }

I'm heading home after work when I get an impromptu call from Cameron. As I take the phone from my pocket, I expect it to be Mel or Gen or even one of my sisters. When I see it's him, I take a second to answer in an attempt not to seem eager. I press the phone to my ear, mentally prepare myself, and say: "yes, Cameron?"

"You're out of work, right?" He jumps straight into the conversation. I pull my phone away and glance at the time, noting that it's 5:06.

"Yes and I have been for 6 minutes but I have a feeling you already knew that." I fight off a small smile at his excitement. It's been a week since we had dinner at my apartment and I drunkenly explained my family life to him. He hasn't made anything awkward and he hasn't brought it up but just the simple fact that he knows is putting me on edge. Don't bother asking me why because I couldn't begin to tell you. I still can't figure out if I told him out of comfort or because there was alcohol coursing through my veins and felt the need to overshare, as drunken people usually do.

"You're right. I did," he blurts casually before falling further into discussion. "Anyway, do you have plans tonight? Are you going to a party? Are you hanging out with Rex? Or Danny?"

I wonder what's causing him to talk to me like an overeager little brother. "I'm not sure yet, Cam. Why?" I wonder as I turn a corner.

"Well, if you aren't busy, I wanted to know if we could hang out," cue his nervous backtracking, "but if you're busy then it's okay."

"We can hang out." I continue on my way home. "What'd you have in mind?"

"Well, assuming this is last minute and it's only been a week since we last hung out so you probably don't want to go out with me just yet, maybe we can just hang out at your place. Unless, of course, you've changed your mind about being seen in public with me."

Seeing as what he's said is a lot to take in, I go with a more casual response. "My place it is," I conclude. "What time?"

"What time works for you?" I purse my lips.

"Eight is good." I know that providing him with a time any later will just come off as suspicious. Besides, if Mel and Gen go out, it won't be until about nine o'clock. Hopefully, they'll be too busy getting ready to notice me sneaking him in.

"Cool." I contemplate asking what he has in mind. I decide against it and instead, let out a quiet breath.

"I'll see you then." After hanging  up, I shove my phone back in my pocket and think about what I'm going to wear.

Mel and Gen don't bother me until I'm in the shower. My hair is barely wet when a pounding comes from the door. "I'm coming in!" Mel announces and I don't bother saying anything. I listen as the door opens but doesn't close, which isn't surprising. Mel is known for leaving the door ajar when she pees.

"Are we going out tonight?" Gen asks from outside the bathroom, I'm assuming.

"Uh..." Mel probably turns to face the shower, "Fee?"

"I'm not," here comes the series of questions, "but if you guys want to, that's cool."

"Rex?" Gen pipes curiously.

"Danny?" Mel wonders in the same tone.

"Cam." My confession gets satisfied noises from both of them. I roll my eyes and continue to rub shampoo throughout my hair. 

"Are you guys going on a date?" Mel continues to question after flushing the toilet.

"No, we're actually hanging out here." Gen gasps dramatically at my revelation.