{ Chapter 8 }

I stare at my phone and contemplate texting Cameron. I've been doing homework nonstop since I got out of class at 11 and am almost finished. It's conveniently dinner time. Mel is out with Ashton, Gen is asleep, and I don't feel like cooking. I consider all the times he's asked me to eat with him and how often I've said no. I decide to just go for it, figuring we are friends after all.

Felicity: You eat dinner yet?

I wait for a response as I put my homework back in my bag. Once I'm all packed, I look at my phone and find a text from the eager boy.

Cameron: Nope.

I stare at his message with a small frown. Is he not going to ask me? I have no problem asking him but I prompted the conversation so that the ball would fall in his court. I made it more than obvious that I was proposing the idea that we eat together. I go to type a petty message only to see the three bubbles appear. I wait for him to send his message before replying.

Cameron: (I'm waiting for you to ask).

Felicity: That sucks. You should probably eat.

He starts typing and then stops. He starts again. Then he stops. Finally, he sends a message.

Cameron: So where do you want to eat?

I grin at the text. How awkward would that have been if he had just left it at that? We all know I'm too childish to initiate anything after being curved like that. I'd have brought myself to the kitchen, made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and called it a night.

Felicity: Bellevue at 6:15.

I drop my phone and search through my closet for something to wear. As I'm rummaging around, I start to feel ridiculous. I'm looking for a different outfit to wear out to the dining hall with my friend. Given, it's the best dining hall on campus; it's only dinner and it's just Cameron. I look down at my current outfit: leggings and an oversized Carrigan State hoodie. I sigh and decide not to try too hard. I redo my pony tail and spritz myself with some perfume. Seeing as I didn't waste time changing, I still have twenty minutes before I even have to leave my apartment. I drop onto my bed and pick up my phone.

Cameron: Not what I meant for dinner but I'll take it, I guess.

Felicity: I'm on my way now. Meet me when you can.

I jog down the steps to my apartment and start in the direction of campus. I note that Cameron read my message and didn't bother replying. With an eye roll, I continue down our street with intentions of taking a picture of his house with my middle finger in front of it. Instead, I come upon him sitting on his porch. He spots me and stands up with, to my dismay, the same sweater as me.

"You have to change," I demand at the same time he says, "twins!"

"I'm not changing." It takes me a second to analyze his words before I turn to walk back to my apartment. "By the time you change and come back, the dining hall's going to be closing up. But feel free to change into something nice because I can just take you out."

I repress a smile as I stare down the street in slight defeat. I halfway want to change just to see what it'd be like to go on a real date with him without our friends shadowing us. But I know better than to let him do such a thing so I spin around on my heels. "Come on." I attempt to lead the way to the dining hall. His long legs quickly catch up with me and he gives me a satisfied grin. We walk in silence until we reach Bellevue, where he holds the door open for me and we both swipe in. After agreeing on an empty table, we diverge to get food.

"I like your sweater." He beams knowingly as he takes the seat across from me. I shoot a glare at him as he brings the conversation topic back up. "Who'd you steal it from?"