{ Chapter 12 }

I lay in bed with my earbuds in and my laptop playing the show I'm currently binge watching. I used to think that spending a night like this was a waste of a weekend. Now, it doesn't seem that bad, especially not after a long week of work and school. I denied the invite to go movie hopping with Gen and Mel and I haven't even bothered to message Rex or Danny back. Admittedly, it's been a while since I got laid but for some odd reason, I don't mind.

I check my phone occasionally. Cam and I were having something of a conversation earlier before I showered and stopped replying for an hour. I hadn't gotten a chance to see him all week because I had an exam I had to study for and he didn't want to distract me. My phone shakes my covers, signifying a text, and I quickly skim the screen. I stare at his message: Call me. I tug the earbuds from my ear and click his contact. I waste no time in pressing the call button and putting the phone against my face, feeling clingy and desperate but not caring in the slightest. He answers after the second ring.

"Hey," he greets me and I expect him to fall into the purpose of his call. "Hello?"

"Hi." My voice breaks. Amazing.

"Were you sleeping?" Does my voice just naturally sound hoarse and ugly over the phone?

"No." I move my laptop from my stomach and put it aside. "I'm laying in bed watching Netflix."

"Me, too!"

"Really?" I flip over and get comfortable.

"Yeah."

'So why are we on a call?" I try my best not to sound rude.

"I'm bored," he draws out the second word, "I want someone to talk to."

"Is Ashton asleep?" I look at the time and find that it's only 11.

"No but I don't want to talk to him."

"Oh." I struggle to think of something to say. "Well, I'm bored, too."

"Are Gen and Mel up?" I sigh, knowing how my response is going to sound. Then again, I didn't initiate the call.

"They're out actually. I would be hanging out with them if they were here, though."

"They're at a party?" Of course he wants to know.

"Movies," I correct and we fall into a brief silence. "Am I boring you?"

"No. I like hearing your voice." My stomach does a little flip at the compliment.

"I just don't like talking on the phone." Again, I sound awkward.

"Is FaceTime better?" This causes me to shift on my back.

"I don't like FaceTime either. I prefer seeing people in person." He's silent for a second as he absorbs my words.

"I mean, I only live down the street." This causes the corners of my mouth to turn upward. I'm grateful he caught on and didn't make it obvious. I'm also happy he can't see me right now.

"Are you willing to take the walk or should I?" Just as the question passes through my lips, my ears are immediately greeted with shuffling.

"I'll go to you," he insists, "I'll text you when I'm outside."

It takes 7 minutes for him to arrive and two seconds for me to go downstairs to let him in. Wordlessly, I lead the way upstairs and into my bedroom, where he drops onto my bed. He takes a second to acknowledge the R&B playlist coming from my phone, which rests on the table beside my bed. "It's so cold outside." He fights off a shiver as he lays across my blankets.

"You should've worn a jacket." I notice the short sleeve shirt on his upper body. It's weird seeing him without a hoodie, but I'm definitely not complaining. I should be though, seeing as I need to keep my thoughts pure and clean while he's here.