08 | Wannabe Orphans

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
viii. WANNABE ORPHANS

╚══════════════════╝

   IT WAS SAFE TO say that Riley had been through a lot

   IT WAS SAFE TO say that Riley had been through a lot. From as early as two-years-old, she was trained by the greats. S.H.I.E.L.D. pushed her to be better, faster, stronger than the others. The Avengers never stopped encouraging her, even when they weren't always together. Between aliens and murderous robots (which she might've helped create in the first place, but let's not talk about that), Riley was fairly convinced that she was prepared for anything.

   You know, excluding the whole "babysitting a teenager" thing.

   Speaking of her mission, Riley was being surprised every day. Peter Parker was an interesting individual. The most interesting thing about him was the fact that he was just a normal person. He lived in a normal apartment, his guardian paid bills, he had homework, he had... the crumbs of a social life. He was ordinary, yet extraordinary at the same time. Peter Parker fascinated Riley.

   Nevertheless, Riley was adjusting well to being a normal teenager. She preferred her old friends, but Peter, Ned, and Michelle were good enough for her. Still, sometimes, there were some things that Riley just couldn't anticipate.

   For example, observing an incredibly awkward conversation between Peter and his aunt was the last thing she'd been expecting throughout her strange mission.

   It was Saturday morning, only a few days after Riley had volunteered to help tutor Peter in Spanish. Riley had only offered to assist him for the sake of her mission. Nearly everything she did in regards to Peter was because of Tony. Nothing more, nothing less.

   Riley glimpsed down at her phone, surprised. It was a quarter 'til noon in the afternoon, meaning she'd only been at Peter's quaint apartment for a few minutes. She could've sworn it had been much longer, but that might've been because of Peter and Aunt May's quiet bickering in the kitchen.

   "You are being so uncool right now, May!"

   "I'm being uncool? I thought Riley was a boy!"

   On top of their arguing, Riley also felt awkward because this was the first time she was hanging out with someone her age since... well... ever.

   Soon, the two exited the kitchen to greet Riley. "Hi, hon," greeted Aunt May, sticking her hands into her back pockets—a clear attempt at trying to be casual, friendly.

   Riley didn't want to admit it, but she understood why May Parker had been a point of conversation when he proposed her mission. Young and pretty, May had long, chestnut hair with thick glasses. Her eyes matched her hair, reminding Riley of the earth on a bright Spring day. There was something so charming about May. She and Peter were incredibly similar, though Riley supposed that made sense.