23 | Homecoming

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
xxiii. HOMECOMING

╚══════════════════╝

  WHEN WE THINK OF high school dances, our minds typically shoot to a variety of things

  WHEN WE THINK OF high school dances, our minds typically shoot to a variety of things. We think of the immensely crowded rooms that high school students and chaperones occupy themselves in like a can of sardines. We think of the cheap decorations, aching feet that come from dancing in the highest of heels, and the pop songs that almost always include the Cupid Shuffle and the Cha Cha Slide. We think of the rubbish food and the old stereotype of "spiking the punchbowl", which never really seems to happen except for in the movies.

   All in all, high school dances really aren't ever that great; however, to Riley O'Dair, the Midtown High Homecoming was like a dream come true.

   She had always imagined what going to a real school dance was like. She would wonder how accurate the movies and tv shows she watched were. While the homecoming dance really wasn't all that impressive, she couldn't help but feel as though she were in a dream of some sort.

   Between the dozens of pictures she took with her friends—yes, friends (the idea of having friends really excited Riley)—and drinking extremely watered down punch, Riley felt as though she were having the time of her life.

   Standing in a small crowd with her friends from the Decathlon team, Riley listened to the very serious debate going down between Michelle and Ned.

   "You can't be serious," said Ned. His arms were folded over his chest. "C'mon, everyone knows that Stuart Little would kick the rat from Ratatouille's ass."

   "Um, that rat has a name," Michelle argued, brushing a strand of her curly hair out of her face, "and his name is Remi. Remi has an entire army of rats. What does Stuart Little have besides no award-winning dish or an army of rats?"

   Laughing at this, Riley shook her head at the two. "I hate to break it to you guys, but Mickey Mouse would eat those guys for lunch," chimed in Riley. She had to project her voice over the music in order to be heard, but from the looks of it, Michelle and Ned appeared to have wished they didn't hear what Riley had said.

   "What!?" shouted Ned in disagreement while Michelle yelled, "Absolutely not!"

   Riley was seconds before making her case to contribute to the admittedly silly argument when she noticed out of the corner of her eye, a face that looked all too anxious. Turning her head, Riley noticed as Peter Parker went jogging toward her.

   Riley took a few steps away from the group to meet Peter almost halfway. "Hey!" she greeted, still having to yell over the loud music. She was just concerned about the distress written on his face. "Is everything okay?"