Part 3

I groaned as I heard my roosters crow.

Morning already? The sun was barely up and I got out of bed and got dressed.

I had animals to milk. I dragged my feet to that part of the barn where my girls were waiting for me.

I patted one and coaxed her in and sat down. I know there are machines for this, but that requires money that I don't have.

I filled one pail then another and we pushed for a third today. I let the cows be as I looked over to the only one that didn't come in. I frowned. That's why my milk was a bit lower.

I went closer to her. She was huge! I have a pregnant cow! How? I don't have any bulls, as far as I know, none of my cows got out. I laughed and took it as a sign. Yes! I might be getting a bull! Or another female, I don't care, that saves me hundreds of dollars.

My mood lifted immediately as this blessing! Finally, something good.

I turned back to the barn and collected my milk to take inside and bottle up.

I had empty bottles sterilised and dried as I poured the pails into a funnel for each bottle.

Only twelve litres. I frowned. So it just wasn't that cow. Another one or two are low on milk. I didn't pay much attention this morning, I'm going to have to tomorrow morning.

I placed lids on the bottles and only then I allowed myself a coffee.

I checked the time. Ava will be getting up soon. I started breakfast, eggs on toast and yelled up for her.

"I'm coming!" She yelled back at me.

She came in to the small kitchen with her boots in hand.

"Good morning." I smiled at her.

"Morning." Was her sleepy tone.

"Eat up. Then jobs." I stated as I went to the ute. I grabbed out the small esky and went back inside, filling it with the fresh milk.

I've yet to do the goat.

I quickly finished of my breakfast and placed our dirty dishes in the sink.

Ava ran to the back door and grabbed her basket and marker and ran to the chicken aviary, on one side of the barn.

I followed as I took the pails with me after I washed them out.

I pulled Nessie, as Ava called her to me and I started milking her.

Ava on the other hand, she had to get the eggs, but she needs to feed them first to coax some off their nests.

"What's the date?" She asked me.

"Ninth of February. So what numbers do we write?"

"Nine slash two." She smiled as she took the lid off her marker.

"Well done. Don't forget the C, D and G."

Ava collected the chicken eggs, then the ducks and finally the geese.

We went back inside the house together and Ava went up for a shower.

I took off my gumboots and shook them out then Ava's.

I packed her lunch, bottled up the goats milk and did the dishes. I quickly brushed and tied back Ava's long brown hair and assessed her.

Her sky blue shirt and red sleeves was buttoned approximately at the collar and her black shorts were clean. Her white socks and black shoes were done as I bent down and tied the laces.

I tapped her on the nose. "All done." I smiled as she grabbed her lunch box and water bottle and put them in her bag.

I carried the esky to the car and Ava climbed in. I didn't have a back-seat. I had a two door ute. I can't afford to upgrade. I can't afford not to have this car either.

This town is awfully good though. My rusty ute that I use for my hay collection is unregistered. I don't even think it's that safe to drive, but people turn a blind eye.

Just like they do with six year old Ava.

I pulled out off the property and drove her to school.

"Have a good day, sweetie." I said as I kissed her head.

She jumped out and slammed the door. I waited and watched her walk in to the school yard before I drove out.

I went to Mark's to drop off the milks.

"Oh love! Why didn't you say you had a heavy load?" Mark called out to me.

"I'm good." I grunted as I placed it on the desk. I wiped my hands on my jeans as I took a breathe.

"I don't know if I can get all this done." I fretted to Mark.

"I'll send my boy over. He can help you."

"That will be great, Mark. I appreciate Tom helping." I smiled at him. Then I remembered the blanket. Shoot, I forgot it. I only just finished it last night while I was helping Ava with her homework.

"Do you need some help over at yours?" Mark asked as he emptied the esky.

I smiled. "I can't afford help." I called over my shoulder as I got some more flour and yeast. "It's all good, Mark. I'll manage." I smiled at him as I placed the items on the desk. Mark packed them in to the esky and handed back to me.

"Let me pay for them." I offered.

"No." He insisted as thanked him and heading back to my car.

I had to make a couple loaves of bread first then started picking the fruit trees.

With Tom helping, it will be a great advantage for me and the time.

I spent the rest of the day doing just that, collecting Ava, finish feeding the rest of the animals and doing dinner.

I sat on the couch with Ava next to me. I started crocheting another blanket for Ava's bed as she tried reading to me.

After I sent her to bed, I finished the dishes and did some housework before showering and collapsing on to my bed.