Part 21

"I told ya I will use a rifle if you ever came back here." I yelled at Dustin, my rifle positioned at him.

Dustin put his hands up openly, gesturing a surrender. "I didn't doubt you would." He half smiled.

I stood on the back of my car, my hands gripping the firearm as I watched Dustin inch closer.

I eyed his car, it was a different one to the last time he was here, but I then noticed a float on the back as well.

"What do you want?" I demanded out of him.

Dustin pointed to the float. "A peace offer."

"Haven't you already given me enough animals?" I snarled.

Dustin smiled widely. "You got them then." But I didn't answer.

"Don't come any closer!" I aimed the rifle to the ground in front of him. "You lied to me. You deceived me. Then you expect me to forgive you because you brought gifts?" I fired the rifle, making him jump.

"Jesus!" He shouted as he jumped back. I pointed the gun at him. "Calm down! I have a gift but it isn't for you."

I frowned at him. "Aren't you supposed to be getting married?" I asked him.

"No." He shook his head. "I went back home, the drive gave me more than enough thinking time. I called off the wedding."

"What about Stephanie?" I demanded as I felt my grip loosening on the rifle.

"She is gone. In my past now. We parted ways."

"Why?" I tilted my head down, my hat covering my face.

"Because I had a past with someone that was unfinished."

I lowered my arms, putting the rifle to one side of me.

"A past I want to make into a future."

I raised my head again, looking at him. Dustin stepped closer to my car, his hands now lowered.

"I don't want the fancy city, or the business, or an easy life."

"What makes you think I can forgive you?" I asked him as I stayed standing on the tray.

"I threw away an easy life, my percentage of my fathers business, my inheritance for this chance, for this risk."

I held my head high. "You made a stupid choice then."

Dustin looked hurt by the words I had said, but I didn't falter.

"I don't care what choice I make as long as I can wake up every morning with my arms around you."

"Go to hell, Dustin." I snarled at him. "I don't want your sweet talk and petty promises."

But it was like he wasn't paying attention as he went to the back of the car, behind me, his hands on the tray.

"I originally came out here because I ran. I ran from everything I left at home. I was working at my father's company and my half brother was taking over and then the pressure went to me. I ran from my engagement because it didn't feel right, I felt like I had unfinished business. That's why I came here. You are my unfinished business. I had no idea you would still be here after so many years, I took a chance. I still remember that promise we made so many years ago."

I felt the tears run down my cheek. "You never came." I sighed, trying not to cry any more.

"You thought I was dead."

"But you're not!" I yelled at him. "You weren't dead! But you still never came. Do you know how much that impacted my life if you did?"

It was around the time I had met Dillon and Ava. But Dustin didn't come. If he did, would I have still taken Dillon? Would I have still stayed with him?

"I regret not coming, I really do. I know I'm four years too late. But let me make it up to you. Let me earn your trust and forgiveness." Dustin begged me.

"It's too late for that." I said softly. Why was this affecting me so much? Was it the feelings of a childhood crush? Or was it more? That I had started to depend on him, laid my trust to him and he did this to me, even though it wasn't a commitment. He had an affair on his fiancee with me! How can I not trust him? "I can't trust you." I finally answered.

"Why not?" He asked me lazily, like the answer wouldn't affect him at all. "I've invested thousands of dollars towards you. I've helped you economically."

"I never asked for it. I can't trust you because you deceived me, you cheated on Stephanie with me! I didn't know that. If I did, I wouldn't have allowed any of that to happen!"

"I'm not like that. I don't know what came over me. I've never done that before. I've always been faithful. I'm sorry for not telling you the truth."

I wiped the tears away. "Yeah? Well it hurt, knowing I was on the other end of that stick."

"You're upset. I know I had hurt you. It was unintentional. But please let me make it up to you."

I didn't say anything to him.

"Obviously you have feelings for me too, otherwise you wouldn't be upset. I promise, I can give you financial security, help whenever you need it, anything."

"Those things don't matter to me." I said softly as I put the rifle down.

"Then tell me, what does?" Dustin asked as he stayed still. "I don't know much about a committed relationship, I'm use to opening my wallet."

I smirked at him. Of course he is. "Attention. Tenderness. Honesty. Love. Trust. Those things matter. I don't care if I have ten thousand dollars or fifty cents in the kitty. I don't care if I don't eat or I got no sleep because I have to fix the barn. I don't care about material things."

"I want someone to love me for me. Take me and Ava. That's it. Not used and abused and wake up one morning to find everything gone, my trust and love shattered over the front yard."

Dustin nodded. "Then teach me. Show me. Let me prove it."

I stepped towards Dustin as he held his hands up for mine.

"It is a leap of faith, I know you're uncertain, but trust me here, take the first step."

Did I want to? My heart was pumping. I lifted my hands to his as I took another step closer.

"What's in the float?" I asked hesitantly at Dustin.

"Something for Ava."

I couldn't help but smile. "It's not a dog is it?"

"No, think bigger." Dustin smiled as he slipped his hands to my waist. "Trust me. Everything I have, everything, is now in your hands."

I gave Dustin a slight nod as he lifted me down.

He tipped my hat back as he brushed my cheek with his hand.

"Okay." I whispered to him.

Dustin kissed me, pressing his body against mine as I held on to him. It felt so right. We pulled apart for air as he smiled down at me.

"Remember when you kissed me when we were kids?" Dustin grinned.

"Yeah."

"That may have been your first kiss to me, but I will be you last as well."