Part 19

So much for going back to a regular and normal routine.

I had been working my tired ass off all day Thursday and today, with some help from the teenage kids from my friends.

I was so angry with myself allowing things to get too carried away with Dustin. I told myself over and over again before Wednesday that we were having fun. It was nothing more.

But now that day has gone, Dustin left and I felt, empty. Alone. Again. Thank goodness it hasn't affected Ava. She doesn't understand adult relationships, she is only six.

But Friday, after the teenagers left and I came home with Ava, there was a livestock transport truck on my yard, much to my surprise.

I told Ava to get dressed and do her chores as I got out off the ute and went to the driver of the truck.

"What's this?" I asked as I took my hat off.

"Lennie. I have a delivery here for you." Samuel, the driver told me. He was Lee's older brother.

"What for?"

"Your sheep." He answered as someone else appeared.

"All done boss."

I looked at him in confusion. "My sheep? I didn't buy any sheep. I can't afford sheep. I've got to go to the mechanics to pay my bill." I fretted as I watched them close the truck.

"They are already paid for." Samuel told me. I frowned as I took his folder off him and read the invoice.

I just had twelve ewes and two rams dropped off.

"Who did this?" That's nearly a thousand dollars worth here.

"I'm assuming you did. That's your address and name there." Samuel pointed out.

"Did Lee do this?" I narrowed my eyes.

"No, ma'am." Samuel answered quickly. "The bloke that was with Lee the other day. He said you needed sheep."

My eyes widened. "Dustin?"

"That's him. He ordered these for you and they are all paid for."

I groaned as I closed my eyes. Why did he buy me sheep? I don't have time for more farm animals! Was this his way of apologising? No it couldn't be. He did this before we fought.

"He made a few people smile."

Samuel caught my attention again. "What do you mean?" I asked, but I heard another truck come up my drive way. "What now?" I groaned as they stopped in front of us.

The driver jumped out and tilted his hat towards us before opening the truck. I heard animals, cows actually. I ran a hand through my hair and scrunched it in my fist.

Did I want to know?

The driver came out with a baby pink piglet in his hands.

It was adorable!

But can't things slow down? This is all too much too fast!

"What's this?" I asked the man.

"Afternoon ma'am. I have a truck load here for a Lennie Walters."

"That's me." I told him as he shoved the little piglet in my hands.

I didn't understand what was happening. Ava came out then and when she saw me holding a pig she cooed at it.

"Who owns the piglet?" She asked as her hand glided between the pigs ears.

"That'll be you, little lady." The man said as he walked past with a calf.

"Where are you taking him?" I asked the man. "I didn't buy any cows!" I called out but the driver ignored me.

"It must be your lucky day then, Lennie." Samuel said to me as I handed back his paper work.

"What now?" I growled as a small two door ute drove up the drive way. I glared at the white and dirty vehicle as it stopped next to my car.

"Lee!" I called out. "What is the meaning of all this! I didn't buy any of this!"

Lee strode over to us and checked the invoice from Samuel. He gave Samuel a nod and then turned to me while Samuel tipped his hat at me and got in his truck and started it up.

"These are all your animals. Didn't Dusty tell you?" Lee looked at me in confusion.

"No." I gritted my teeth. "It must have slipped his mind as well."

Lee frowned at me before greeting the driver of the other truck.

"Thomas. How are ya?"

The two chatted while I stood there, dumbfounded. I had a piglet in my hands, and it was adorable and tiny and cute, but what am I going to do with a piglet?

"Excuse me!" I called out to them, interrupting their conversation. "What is going on?"

Lee turned to me as I shoved the pig back into Thomas's hands.

"When I told you I can't afford them, Lee, I didn't mean just purchasing them. I can't afford to feed them!" I growled at him. "Their needles, food, supplies!"

"Chill, Lennie. It's all taken care of." Lee smiled at me. "Their needles are paid for. Plus two months supply of food."

I groaned in to my hands and caught a whiff of them, pulling them away from my face. Blinking several times, I asked for the paperwork from Thomas.

I read it. Two piglets, one of each sex and four more calves, one a bull. I did want a bull.

" Why..." I mumbled to myself. But Lee never answered me. "This is thousands of dollars worth of animals!"

Lee shrugged. After another hour, it was just me and Ava again as I stared into the makeshift pig pen.

"Mum, they are so cute!" Ava cooed at them.

"I know darling." I replied, but I was concerned. I know how to look after all these animals, but pigs. I didn't produce enough scraps for the chickens let alone sharing with pigs as well.

"Come on darling. I guess I'll start dinner." I took her hand as we walked back to the house.

I own sheep! I couldn't be happier to be honest. I wanted sheep for their wool, their lambs for the butcher. But pigs? Maybe I'll let them grow and multiply, selling off their offspring.

"Thanks mum!" Ava said to me, pulling me out off my thoughts.

"Whatever for?" I asked her.

"For getting more animals."

Don't thank me, I thought to myself. This is all Dustin's doing.