Part 20

It took some getting used to, but Ava and I fell in to the routine of having extra animals to care for.

A week had passed and I had gone to town after dropping Ava off at school to purchase sheers. That's when I went to the mechanics to pay the bill for the part I had to get Dustin to install in my car.

"Lennie! I'm surprised to see you! What brings you here?" Gareth asked me.

"I have to pay for a part I got the other week." I told him, quite confused.

"Ah the alternator. Yes. That was paid for on that day."

"What? I haven't paid for it yet."

"The young one that you sent in to get it paid for it."

I groaned as I closed my eyes. He said it wasn't much, but now, I'm doubting it. "How much was it?"

"About three hundred dollars."

I sighed and nodded. "Thank you." Why would Dustin do all this? He did it all before he left too. "Thanks Gareth." I said as I left the mechanics.

Dustin had spent thousands of dollars in the time he was here to benefit me. Suddenly a pang of guilt shot through me, but I quickly dismissed it. He had an affair. And I wasn't the one he cheated, I was the one he cheated with.

But I didn't want to think about that. I was too busy. We had our monthly markets coming up. It was bigger than the ones we did on every Sunday.

The first Sunday of every month we held a large markets with the surrounding towns. Some bring in their baby animals for a petting zoo, others, horses for guests to ride. We did our main stalls as well, selling home made preserves, food, crafts, plants, the list goes on.

It was each to its own as well, this day held fifty to eighty percent of some peoples income, like me, and like Lynn, it was savings for retirement and their children and grand babies.

I had set up my tables, with the help from Ava. I had a large cage with baby chickens and ducklings, separated of course and my goods laid out on the table. It wasn't much really, but enough.

I had loaves of bread, some made up into sandwiches, bottled milk in an esky, cartons of different eggs, boxes of fruit from my trees. If I had the time, I would do more like vegetables, but I use most of what I grow.

The day was long and hot, and several times, I had caught myself wondering about Dustin. He is getting married this weekend.

My thoughts were distracted as a couple with kids came up.

"Look how cute they are, daddy." A little girl  pointed to a fluffy yellow duckling.

"Heath, would you like some duck eggs?" The woman said to her son. He nodded his head as his eyes lit up.

"Please daddy! We might get some more eggs." The girl begged.

"Aria, we have ducks, no more." The man spoke.

"But they aren't laying." His wife said as she smiled at him. I knew that smile. I see it every market day. It was a wife pleading with her children for the husbands approval.

He groaned under their silent protests. "Fine. We will take two ducklings."

The kids hissed a yes as the wife smiled and turned to me. "A dozen duck eggs, two dozen chicken eggs and two ducklings please."

I smiled and nodded as Ava got out an empty cereal box for me and placed the ducklings inside.

The stream of customers were slow but just enough to keep me distracted. Hanna came around with her baby, George and I stole him for cuddles as we spoke. The day was one that I did and didn't look forward to.

Ava had wondered off, on strict instructions to stay on this aisle as I chatted with Hanna, constantly keeping an eye on Ava.

She came running back as I handed George back over, pulling on my shorts. "Mum, mum, mum."

"Yes Ava?" I laughed at her eagerness.

"There are kittens over there."

Oh no.

I went to say something but she ran back off. She returned seconds later holding a colourful kitten.

"Ava."

"Please mum!" She begged.

"We have enough animals, sweetheart." I said softly, but Ava pleaded again. I saw a lady come closer and recognised her.

"Tiffany." I greeted her.

"Lennie."

"I'm assuming the kittens are yours?"

Tiffany smiled at me. "Yeah. Me cat got out a few months ago and a tom got her. I have others to pick from."

"No!" Ava said as she cuddled the small cat. "This one!"

"It gives you another job to do." I sternly warned her.

Ava smiled and nodded.

"Fine. How much Tiffany?" I caved to my daughter.

"Oh no. Ava is such a darling."

"Oh thank you mum!" Ava squealed.

"I insist." I pressed on.

"No." Tiffany shook her head. "They are cross breeds. It's fine."

When it finally hit midday, I had packed up, taking home what I didn't sell, a few hundred dollars and a cat.

I felt ashamed in a way though, hearing the gossip among the locals today, I heard his name several times and I wasn't sure if they were talking about him or me.

I tried not to let my thoughts be plagued by all that misfortune as I pulled in to the bottom of my drive way.

"Ava. Take the cat inside and put her in the laundry for a while. Let her get use to her new surroundings."

"Okay mum." Ava obeyed as she gripped the little white, orange and black kitten. I unpacked the ute of what I hadn't sold and my last trip back to the car only involved closing the tray door.

I heard gravel crunch under wheels as I saw a large shiny dark blue four door ute come closer.

I frowned. Who could this be? I don't know anyone that drives brand new cars. Hell the newest car in this community was made nearly ten years ago.

I jumped in to the back of my ute and opened the tray completely again crouching down, my hand on the rifle I kept there.

My fingers gripped it, ready to snatch it out if need be.

The car stopped and I saw the door open.

I felt anger run through me as I lifted the rifle at the driver.