Part 15

After picking Dustin then Ava up we headed home. I had to prepare dinner for the night and Dustin offered to do my chores, helping Ava along the way.

At first I was a bit concerned. But it left me time to think to myself.

What was last night about? I didn't want an attachment, a relationship. I didn't want Ava to get attached either.

I scraped the cut potatoes into a pot as I moved on to the beans. Was Dustin thinking the same? Or did he expect it again? I didn't want to do that again. Well, without leading him on.

It had been so long since I had shared a bed with anybody and I had forgot what it felt like to be touched in that sense. I involuntarily shivered.

I heard voices by the back door and pulled my thoughts elsewhere. I started making a list of jobs for Dustin for tomorrow. But tomorrow wasn't what I was concerned over. It was what will happen between now and then.

Ava came in with her basket. I peeked in and frowned.

"Mum, I gave six eggs to Mrs - oh Dusty look at this one!" Ava showed Dustin the weird looking egg. It was huge.

"Is that a chicken egg?" I asked Ava as I looked at the C on it. Ava nodded.

I saw the two balls of yarn in the basket and pulled them out. Ava swapped the eggs for them. I couldn't help but smile. She tries so hard to do what is needed without asking.

After dinner, I helped Ava with her homework and once finished I tucked her in to bed. The poor girls eyes were drooping and I think she went to sleep before I finished tucking her in.

I went back downstairs and to the blanket I was crocheting.

Dustin sat on the next couch and I knew he wanted to have a conversation and last night was the last thing I wanted to talk about.

"Why don't you have a dog?"

I stopped what I was doing and looked up at him, surprised that it wasn't about last night.

"I did. Remember Jackie?"

"Yeah, your blue heeler." Dustin answered.

"I had her. She died of old age." I shrugged as I wound some wool around my finger.

"But why don't you have one now? Doesn't it seem strange to have a farm without a dog?"

I peeked over to Dustin as he drank a glass of water.

"I had another." I said slowly. "A couple years ago. He was a pup. He died."

"So you never got another one because you lost a puppy?"

I shook my head. "No. I never got another dog because Ava is terrified of dogs."

"What happened?" Dustin asked all concerned. "Did a bigger dog get it?"

"The pup wasn't a puppy, he was about 12 months old and no, another dog didn't get him." I answered as I tied on a fresh ball of yarn to the end of the one I had used.

"Then how did it die?"

I groaned. What was with all the questions? I placed my hook down on my lap as I stared Dustin in the eyes.

"I killed it."

Dustin's eyes went wide. "What?"

"Dustin," I sighed out, "A place like here is not for the faint hearted and behind the scenes, it's not a nice and kind world. It may look open and carefree, but we have many dangers here too." I folded up what I had done on the blanket and placed it on the small coffee table between the couch and wall.

"We have our snakes and spiders, just like anywhere else, foxes and wild dogs. I had purchased a puppy when he was three months old, a bit late for my liking and the training was a bit harder too. I had gotten a kelpie cross red cattle. He was highly playful and Ava loved him. They played ball and he followed her everywhere. He had become an excellent guard dog to her, not letting her roam around too much, even if I was with her."

"Then a fox started getting my chickens. Each morning, I would find a dead chicken or rooster, sometimes a duck and at first I was annoyed. Then after a week, I became suspicious. I've never had a fox leave their kill behind before. But I was finding a dead chicken everyday. I spoke to a few neighbours, they didn't have any problems with foxes, so I started honing in on the dog."

"I caught the dog in action one night and tied him up. I know the old saying, I was told by many people too. I wouldn't let Ava near him. But I couldn't do it."

"What old saying?" Dustin asked.

"Once a dog gets chicken blood, that's it. It could take a day, or weeks, but they eventually want more."

"That can't be true."

I raised my eyebrow to him. "He killed every night. What do you think? They are descendent from wolves. It's their ancient instinct to hunt. Wolves never got feed dog food or dead animals, they hunted live animals, they crush the neck of their prey in their jaws until the blood stops pumping and the heart is no longer beating."

"Well, one day, mind you Ava was only three, she woke up from her nap. I had lost track of time, I didn't know she was up. I had my rifle and I was on my way to the dog. I had noticed it's attitude had changed, he was more aggressive. I had left the barn when I heard this blood curling scream. I ran to it, to the dog and what was in his mouth made my heart stop."

I hated this memory. It was in the top five of my worst memories. I felt my eyes water as I remember Ava screaming, the terror that went through me.

"The dog had Ava in his mouth, her arm was pierced by his teeth. This dog that protected her, followed her, loved her, was now using her for his blood lust. I couldn't get him to open his mouth, no matter how hard I tried. When he finally let Ava go, he bit me in the process and I grabbed my rifle and shot him. It was the first and last time I had killed an animal in front of her. Since then, Ava is petrified of dogs, no matter the size or breed, even newborn pups. That is why I won't get another dog."