Part 9

Last night was awkward after what Dustin heard me say.

I had excused myself and went back to the house.

It was a little after 11pm and I wanted my bed.

But today, it was going to be hectic. I need to go to town and with all the goods I had, it couldn't be done on horseback.

"Dustin?"

I called to him at the back door, a coffee in my hand.

"Yeah?" He replied as he came closer. He had on jeans and a shirt, something more appropriate for out here then a business suit.

"Can you drive us to town please? I have a few errands to run today."

"Yeah, sure."

I smiled widely at him. "Great. Thank you. Can you help me load them up?"

Dustin helped as I told Ava to get dressed. Ava knows on Sundays we do the markets.

But we do it differently. It's more or less a swap meet.

So Ava, myself and Dustin headed for the marketplace, also used as the towns sports grounds on Saturday and roamed the aisles.

I greeted my fellow neighbours and townies and Sunday was also an extra income for some people as it enticed in visitors from neighbouring towns.

I swapped a kilo of oranges for marmalade, Ava's favourite. A kilo of apples for some apple pies, even though I am beginning to hate them. I gave some people a couple loaves of bread and I got back some home made bolognese sauce.

"What is all this?" Dustin asked as Ava carried her basket up ahead.

"This is a farmers swap meet. We make our own food and swap it. All the bread I made yesterday in return for something else."

I went to Lynn's table. "Good morning Lynn." I smiled at her.

"Hi Lennie. Here we go." She handed me over a couple containers of her baked goods.

"Thank you. Where is Hanna?"

Lynn's face lit up. "She had the baby Friday!"

"Oh wow! Congratulations!" I smiled widely at her. "Boy or a girl?"

"A boy. George Marcus Matthewson."

I smiled widely. "I can't wait to meet him."

"Who is this with you? Is that the man Mark was telling me about?" Lynn inquired.

"That is Dustin." I said as I looked over to him. He wasn't exactly next to me as he looked at the table in front of him.

"I'm glad to see you found a man."

My eyes widened as I coughed. It was enough to call Dustin's attention.

"Lynn!" I warned her. "Look what happened last time I settled." I harshly whispered to her.

But she shrugged me off. "They aren't all like that, dear." Then Lynn turned to Dustin.

"Hello dear. I'm Lynn Fallon."

"Fallon?" Dustin frowned. "Michael Fallon's mother?"

Lynn smiled wider. "Why yes. How do you know my boy?"

"We played footy together back in fourth grade." Dustin smiled as he shook Lynn's hand. "Did you say your daughter is a Matthewson?"

"Yes. Her husband is Gavin Matthewson."

"Is he the brother of Ryder Matthewson?"

Lynn nodded. "What's your name, sorry?"

"Dustin. Dustin Holte."

Lynn's eyes went wide. "Dusty?" She grinned. "Well I never! How are you doing?"

I groaned as Dustin and Lynn chattered and decided to leave them there at it while Ava and I continued on.

After another hour of chatting and swapping, I had all I needed and we left to go home.

"You seem to be getting along with the locals." I commented to Dustin.

Dustin grinned. "Yeah. Speaking of locals, I heard one mention a stock sale. Do you attend them? "

I looked back at Ava, checking to see if she was fine. "No. One needs spare money for that stuff. I can't swap bread and milk and get a sheep." I half laughed.

"Is that your means of survival?" Dustin frowned.

"Yes. I don't have a proper income. Mine comes in at small amounts. It's the same with a lot of other people, but some like Lynn do it as a hobby. Every now and then I will trade with bigger stuff. A hay bale for a couple horse shoes, a duck for a couple more ducklings." I kept my eyes ahead of me.

"You sound like it's tough."

I saw the house ahead and felt relieved. I didn't really want to discuss this. "Some weeks are really tough. I now have not only an extra horse mouth to feed but a human one." I turned to Dustin and grinned.

The drive way up to my house was bumpy and once that was over I sighed. Thank goodness. I don't tend to feel the holes in the driveway in my ute.

"Ava," I said to her as I got out off the car to her seat. "You can go check out the new foal. But no touching, just looking."

Ava's eyes lit up. "The baby came?" She squealed as she ran to the barn.

Dustin opened the boot and together we carried in my supplies for the week.

"You didn't purchase any butter or flour." Dustin noticed as we unpacked the boxes.

"No. They will be in tomorrow." I muttered to him. "Can you please have a look at the ute? I don't want to ruin your car going up and down the driveway." I asked Dustin as I slipped on my boots.

"How often do you use it?"

"Everyday. I drop Ava off at school, I do my chores at home, do some errands in town, come home, prepare some food and dinner, pick up Ava and more errands in town plus whatever needs delivering, then my chores." I blankly answered him.

Dustin nodded as he went to my car. "The keys are in it." I half yelped at him.

At least I can have cheap labour looking at my car. Saves me paying for a tow truck and a mechanic just to look it over before handing me the first bill.