Part 14

I woke the next morning with a weight on my hips. I opened my eyes and straight away, I saw Dustin, asleep next to me.

I groaned inwardly as I slipped out off the bed and quickly grabbed some clothes to get changed into.

Smart move, Len. I thought to myself as I got dressed in the bathroom. Why did I invite him to my room?

I went downstairs and straight for the back door to slip on my boots and start my chores.

The whole time I was out in the chilly morning fog, I couldn't stop chastising myself.

This wasn't meant to be a romantic fling. That wasn't even meant to happen. Why did I encourage him?

I went back inside and turned the kettle on then filled the pot with some bacon. I made a pot with porridge and soon Ava was down, doing her chores.

I prepared her lunch for school while she placed the basket on the bench next to the milk I had collected.

Ava had her back to the entry while I was pouring milk in to the bottles when Dustin came down.

"Morning." He smiled at me. But I just gave him a small one in return.

"I've got to go to town today. There isn't much for you to do. So if you want, you can have a day off." I told him as I bottled up the last one.

"I'll help you."

I kept my back to him and closed my eyes.

Why?

"Ava, come get your lunch." I spoke as I walked out off the room.

I took the box carrying all the milk to the ute and piled them in neatly to the esky. Dustin was hot on my trial with the bags of fruit.

"Why would you want to come and help me?" I asked him with a frown.

"Why not? Saves sitting around doing nothing."

I shook my head as I filled my box up with the eggs. Ava had finished her breakfast and went to get dressed for the day.

"My car only hosts two seats." I said as I slid the box in to the back tray.

"That's alright, I'll sit on the back."

I turned on my heel to go inside. I'm trying to shake him but he won't get loose. I quickly brushed Ava's hair and tied it up, then plaited it with a ribbon. She snatched up her school bag and threw it in to the tray.

I got in with Ava and Dustin climbed up to the tray, sitting against the back window. I didn't like doing this. I've seen many people do it, but I didn't like it.

I drove down the drive way and to the school, the bumps and holes in my dirt driveway less noticeable in my car.

I have noticed how much power I had in the car since Dustin fixed it for me and I was grateful for it.

I pulled in to the parking lot of the school and got out as Ava jumped out. Dustin handed her the bag.

"Bye Dusty!" Ava grinned as she took my hand. I walked her so far in and knelt down.

"Bye baby. Have a good day." I smiled as I hugged her. Ava wrapped her little arms around me.

"Bye mum."

I kissed her head and let her go, watching her run to her classroom.

I went back to the car and found Dustin waiting for me at the passenger door.

I climbed in just before he did as he looked at the buildings in front of us.

"The place hasn't changed."