Clara

I apologize for the long delay in updates. I've been super busy with school and other activities that I haven't thought of updating. BUT I've been writing so that's a silver lining, right? Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I laid back on the waxed floor and covered my eyes with my arm. There was no way I was going to be prepared for try outs. I couldn't get a single shot in and Brandon managed to knock me down so many times when I tried stealing the ball from him. It was useless. I wasn't making the team and I wasn't going to get Derek to like me.

Brandon walked over to me and kicked the bottom of my shoe. "We can still practice tomorrow. Just because today didn't go well doesn't mean-"

"Forget it, B. I'm not making the team."

"Maybe if you show enough interest that won't matter to Derek."

"Yeah, right. He'd rather be with someone who can do something with themselves."

"Like?"

"I don't know. I don't know any other gay guys in this school."

"See, you two are perfect for each other."

I lifted my arm and raised an eyebrow at him. "How do we know he's even gay?"

Brandon shrugged. "I don't. But I figured your gay-dar would tell you."

I glared at him. "Gay-dar isn't real."

"Prove to me it isn't."

"How do I do that without 'using it?'"

He grinned. "That's for you to figure out."

"This is like some sick, twisted math problem."

"That would explain how I know what I'm doing."

I got to my feet. "I'm going home."

"Do you want a ride?"

I sighed heavily. I didn't have a car. My parents didn't make enough to get another car just for me. But Brandon had one so he drove the two of us to school and back ever day. I didn't deserve a friend like him.

"Fine."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom was setting the table when I got home. I didn't think Brandon and I took that long to practice but maybe we had. It was going to take years with the way I was playing.

"How was school?" She asked, glancing up at me as I walked past the doorway. My mom looked  like a mom. It sounded stupid but it was true. She had dark hair that was always pulled up. Her skin was dark like mine and my dad's and she had deep brown eyes. She was a hard worker but she never complained about all the work she had to do. It was one of the aspects I hoped I got from her.

I shrugged. "Same as always."

"You should invite Brandon over for dinner sometime. It's the least we can do for him since he drives you around all the time."

"I'm sure he'd love that." I mumbled, rolling my eyes. I tossed my backpack on the floor as I walked in my room and collapsed on my bed. I couldn't wait for try-outs to be over and for my time to be used more constructively.

Dad's car pulled into the driveway not long after and I groaned at the thought of having to talk to him about the try-outs. I didn't want to tell him I couldn't make it through a practice with Brandon let alone a day of try-outs. And I was tired of faking my love for sports.

I changed into a sweatshirt Brandon had given me then walked down the steps. Mom and dad were talking about plans to visit my sister at her school the next weekend when I entered the room.

"Hey, son. How was school?"

I sat down at the table and shrugged. "School was school."

"Nothing new happened?"

"I made a new friend," Almost a boyfriend. "And Brandon and I practiced after school."

He grinned from ear to ear and it really hurt knowing I was going to take that happiness from him in the upcoming week. He was looking forward to me making the team and seeing me do something with myself. I hated letting him down but sports just wasn't for me and I couldn't get on the team if I sucked. "That shows you're dedicated. The coach will really like the effort."

I just nodded and took a bite of the chicken mom had cooked.

Mom gave dad a pointed look and he cleared his throat. Mom knew I didn't like sports and wasn't fond of trying out for a team I wasn't going to make. She tried to steer conversations away, saying it was 'stressing me out' and it was hard to stay focused.

"Anyway, we were thinking of visiting Clara next weekend," Mom said, meeting my gaze. "I'd really like for you to come with us."

I nodded. A two hour plus car ride with my parents as my dad went on and on about me playing sports? No, thank you. But I'd already backed out once before and I didn't want my sister to think I hated her. It was her I hated. It was the sports dad forced down my throat. But I wasn't about to tell dad I hated them.

"She'd really like to see you."

"Me too." I mumbled. Maybe telling the situation to Clara would help me. Maybe she would give me advice or maybe... Maybe she'd tell dad the truth.

One could only hope.