Worry

"What was that all about?" I asked as I got in Brandon's car. I couldn't believe he'd kissed me, especially in front of Derek and Laken. Did he want them to think we were dating? Or that he was gay?

"What?"

"You kissed me."

He shrugged and started his car. "I wanted him to think you were better off without him."

"But I'm not."

He laughed. "Yeah, you are. Even though you aren't really dating me."

"What if he tells the whole school we're dating or something?"

"He won't do that."

"Why not?" He had plenty of reason to tell people. He seemed vindictive enough. Why not hurt my feelings and spread rumors about me?

"He doesn't know everyone in the school."

I glared at him.

He grinned. "Relax. It'll be fine."

Knowing me, things wouldn't be fine. I screwed everything up so often it was bound to happen now.

I just had to wait for things to turn to shit.

- - -

I was nervous. Anxious. Freaked out. I was losing my mind. I was on edge the second we pulled into the parking lot. Every time someone looked at me or Brandon, I got nervous. I felt like I was going to throw up.

Brandon shut his locker door and I jumped, almost dropping my books. He sighed and grabbed my books for first period. He took my backpack from me and tossed it in my locker. "Why are you so jumpy?"

"What if Derek really said something to people? What if they think we're a couple?"

"So what if they did?"

"You're not gay." I said as I shut my locker door.

He shrugged. "Who cares if I was?"

I sighed. He was right. If people thought he was gay and he didn't care, why did I?

"You have nothing to worry about." He backed up and started walking toward our first class.

Derek walked into class and his eyes landed on me. Brandon and I were talking about the quiz we were about to have.

Derek stayed in the doorway for a few seconds before sitting in a seat in the front row, opening his notebook to look busy.

I nodded my head in his direction. "What's that all about?"

Brandon grinned. "Maybe he's jealous."

"Of what?"

"Please don't tell me you forgot already. I thought I did a good job."

I rolled my eyes. "Some of us were caught off guard."

He chewed on his pen cap. "Sorry. I was only trying to help."

"I guess it's working. He won't even sit beside us."

"Does it bother you?"

"What?"

"Him not sitting with us or talking to you? Does that bother you?"

"I - no." I shook my head. I didn't need anyone else sitting with as long as Brandon was there. He was enough company that I didn't miss anyone else being there.

"Then forget him, Angelo. You don't need to go after some guy who doesn't mean anything to you."

I opened my mouth to ask him what he meant but Mr. Bowling started class, leaving me confused.