Chapter 3

~
" the one that has no control over his desires, has no control over his mind "
~

Angelica was an innocent child. Like a beacon of light pulling people towards her. Even at the tender age of five she apeared more mature than others. She was a pretty little girl holding the promise to become a great beauty someday.

But it was her kind and gentle nature that would prove to attract a darkness that is inescapable.

Alec watched his daughter amongst her brothers, eating her breakfast while Marcus read to her. It had been three weeks since Marchelle's death and the calming voice of Alec's second youngest son seemed to be the only thing calming Angelica down.

She missed her mother. They all did.

Every single splash of red had been removed from the house. The very colour his wife used to adore now brought sadness to him as he had to remind himself that he would never see her eyes shining in delight as the spring brought forth the red roses to bloom.

"I'm planning on marrying Amelia." Joseph suddenly announced breaking the tense silence which settle over the dining room table.

Alec frowned. He cut a thick piece of ham, stuffing it in him mouth as he mumbled. "Why would you do that?"

Joseph's cutlery hit the plate. "Father, I have been courting her for a year. Its only natural that marraige is the next step." He sighed in frustration. "Its been three weeks father. We cannot remain in mourning for much longer."

Alec jumped up from his chair, grabbing Joseph by the collar. "Don't you dare tell me what to do boy!" He yanked his son closer. "She was my wife! You will never understand how I feel." He released him, sending a glare to the rest of his children who were watching the scene closely. "None of you will ever understand how I feel."

And with that he stomped out of the dining room.

Angelica sat next to Marcus, clutching her skirt between her small fingers. Her face was red as warm tears slid down her face.

Joseph remained still for a few moment before he too rushed out, leaving Aaron to deal with the aftermath.

Alec had refused to speak to anyone about his sorrows, throwing himself into his work and spending every waking minute obsessing over the creature that killed his wife.

There had been fifty witnessed to the crime. And all told a story so absured and delusional, yet the attack took place over broad daylight and there was no error or illusion.

It had been a wolf.

A monsterous being twice the size of any normal wolf. Robert had assured him that he would hunt the beast alone, that Alec should mourn in piece, but Alec would not rest until it was found.

Jack and Timothy followed Pierre as he began clearing the table before disapearing into the house.

Aaron picked up Angelica into his arms. Marcus ran his fingers through his dark hair. "It can't go on like this."

"What can we do?" Aaron spoke, frustration evident in his voice. "He will not listen to us."

Alec was pacing up and down in his study. The walls were covered in pages ripped from lure books and rough drawings made of that it might look like. He was mumbling to himself, a crazed expression on his face. He was losing his mind.

Robert came in, watching for a few moments as Alec continued to slip into insanity.

The caves were empty, the beast seemily long gone, was it not for the occasional sighting they would have believed it had moved on. Robert believed that the beast resided in village, walked amongst them, maybe even lend a helping hand in the search.

"Alec." Robert adressed him. "Miss Williams just returned from the Brownes, Mayor Browne is dead."

Alec froze. "What?"

"He was attacked the night Marchelle died. Clarissa couldn't travel alone to inform anyone."

Alec's fingers tangled in his hair, twisting the roots. "It won't rest. It has to die." He mumbled pacing once more.

Robert sighed. He left the room to where Joseph was standing with Clarissa in the front room. "Are you sure she will be able to stay here?"

Joseph nodded. "It will be good for us."

"Grandmother!" Angelica called out as she rushed towards Clarissa wrapping her arms around the old woman.

"My dear child." She spoke gently. "How I've missed you."

It was an intimate moment as the woman who so would now serve as a mother figure to Angelica held the little girl. Loss had never tasted so bitter on their tongues.

There was an element of urgency to find the beast, to redeem what was lost. But hopes were running thin as the days passed by.

Clarissa and Angelica had retired for the evening along with the younger Spencer siblings when Alec first emerged from his study. Robert had long since departed, hoping to try one more time to lure the bloodthirsty monster into a trap.

Alec aproached Joseph, throwing a pouch of coins at him. "What is this for?" He asked opening the pounch and counting the gold.

"For your bride." Came his father's reply.

His eldest son smiled. "Father, thank-."

But Alec held up his hand to keep Joseph from speaking further. "Do not thank me boy. I want you out of my house. Tonight." He spun on his heel, but Joseph stopped him.

"How can you do this? Do you care so little? How can you just turn your back on your own son?"

"I cared only for one thing. And she is gone. The sooner I rid myself of that which reminds me of her, the better." This time Joseph had nothing to say as his father returned to his bedroom. Instead he packed his bags and left, hoping his Amelia would allow him to stay the night.

Clarissa had heard the exchange between father and son, and it caused her to fear for the young girl she was so fond of.

Within the confinements of Angelica's room, the old woman felt the need to once more bringa spark to the young girl's eyes. And so she sat with Angelica, clasping the child's hands withing her own. "I have a gift for you. Something to remember your mother by." She brought forth a folded piece of heavy red fabric and handed it to the child.

Angelica's eyes glittered in glee. "What is it?" She asked as she unfolded it and Clarissa helped slip the fabric over her shoulders.

"Its a riding cloak my dear."

Angelica grinned as she pulled the hood over her head and spun around. "How do I look grandmother?"

Clarissa smiled. "Beautiful my dear. You look absolutely beautiful in your little red riding hood."