T w e n t y F i v e

Dante's POV

I lie in bed, staring at the roof. Maybe if I had done something differently...

Then what? I mean, Skye is right. I don't do the whole lovey dovey dating thing. The story that she described... That's the type of guy I am— not a cheater, but I don't stick with one girl for long.

That's why I choose not to sleep with them. It gets even more emotions involved which makes things messy.

I sit up and lean against the headboard, letting the blankets pool around my waist. But Skye is different. She makes me want to do all these things, things that I've never wanted to do with any girl before, like make her cupcakes and write her love letters and kiss her until our lips turn purple.

I run my hand through my hair.

I hardly know her. She doesn't want me. She's scared because she's been hurt. Everything is not going to work out anyway.

These facts should stop me from wanting her, but they don't. What if I do hurt her? I would never be able to forgive myself.

There is a knock on the door.

"Come in," I say.

Skye pokes her head through the door. "No naked girls in here this time?" she asks.

"Feel free to change that."

She walks into the room and shuts the door. I give her a small smile. "I couldn't sleep," she tells me.

"So you came here because you decided you might want to kiss me?" I joke and pat the empty spot on the bed beside me. I guess tonight I was actually the one thinking about kissing her, not the other way round.

She smiles and climbs onto my bed. She lies down and pulls the covers over herself.

I slide down and wrap my arms around her body, and she rests her head on my chest. Maybe we can just be friends. I mean it's little things like this that make me happy, and we can still do them as friends, I guess.

It sucks that she doesn't even know me that well, but assumes I am a bad person and that I am going to hurt her. I wish I could show her that I won't hurt her, but there's no way to prove it if she won't even give it a chance.

I climb out of the bed and she looks up at me, wondering what I'm doing. "I just need some air. I'll come back in again in a minute."

I walk out onto my balcony and take in the fresh air. I don't care if I am only in my underwear, I just had to get away from her. I lean against the railings and look up at the sky.

What am I going to do? I have to distance myself from her to not have feelings for her but that is kind of hard when she is lying in my bed.

I walk back in. "I'm so sorry, Skye. I can't do this," I say.

She sits up and looks at me with a frowns. "Wait, what? Are you saying the deals off?"

"No. No, I wouldn't do that. I just mean... Well, I have to get over you and I can't do that with your head on my chest and your arm around my waist. I don't know what's wrong with me because after that kiss it's like I feel so close to you, like I've known you forever, even though I haven't. It's almost like I've convinced myself I'm in love with you even though that's crazy because there is no way that's true.

"I think that we will hardly see each other when we get to Spain, but for this weekend can you maybe, I don't know how else to say it, stay away from me. I know it's rude to ask but I don't know what else to do. I'm being an idiot and not thinking straight and I don't have any other ideas on what I can do to stop feeling this way about you."

She nods. "I totally get. I'm sorry I came here."

"Thanks," I say.

She walks to the door, but before she leaves, she turns around to face me. "But Dante, if you fall in love this fast, What is stopping you from falling out of love just as fast?"

"Well, it doesn't matter because you won't let us be anything more than friends, anyway. I'd be lucky if I lose feelings for you as fast."

"Goodnight," she whispers.

I nod and smile, and as soon as she shuts the door after walking out, I fall on the bed face first.

So this is what it feels like when you love someone, but it is unrequited. Her reasoning for us not being together makes sense, but that doesn't make it suck any less.

It's weird because it's usually me that is rejecting all these girls that come after me. I've never been in this situation before and I definitely don't like it.

I need to keep my feelings to myself from now on, especially around Skye. I told her that I love her and she acted like it wasn't a big deal— as if I say those words to everyone.

If we are going to be friends then I can't feel all these things about her and I definitely can't tell her about it.

I think the best way to move on is to find someone else but I don't want to move on. I hit my pillow, trying to let out all of this frustration inside me.

I want Skye.

•=•=•

Speckles is such a cute word.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx