Chapter Six

Here you go everyone! Chapter six has arrived . . .

~*~*~

Chapter Six

Justin was quick to track her down the next day.

"Hi," he awkward said as he approached her.

Kendall paused her hand halfway in her locker to grab her math textbook. It wasn't her intention to be angry with Justin this morning, but as she stared at Justin with her eyes narrowed, she couldn't push aside the resentment and animosity that filled her. Turning back toward her locker, Kendall began to load her backpack with the books and supplies that she would need for the day.

"I'm sorry, Kendall." Her eyes remained trained on her locker. Justin sighed and continued, "I didn't mean to do that last night. Right after you left, I realized what I did. I guess I'm just so used to hiding it and pretending with you that I forgot to stop. I really am sorry. I promised not to hurt you again, and I failed."

Her eyes closed as his words washed over her. There was silence between them. If not for being completely aware of his presence beside her, Kendall would have guessed that he had left. Finally, she turned and met his eyes.

"You didn't fail," she said quietly. "You may have done a lot of things Justin, but you never failed."

Justin smiled at her words. "Still . . . I'm sorry that I hurt you."

"I know," Kendall said, "and I do appreciate it."

Closing her locker, Kendall grabbed her backpack and walked away from Justin and toward her first class. She waved at her two best friends, Jessica and Nicole, as they walked passed her and in the direction of the gym for their first class. As she passes her friends, Kendall could help but feel bad. Because of everything that she's been going through with Justin recently she hasn't had much time to spend with them. Jessica and Nicole have each reached out to her various times, but she's never responded to their texts and calls. Kendall reminded herself to text them later tonight so they can hang out this weekend or something.

As she walked to class, Darrell suddenly appeared beside her. "Feeling better?" He asked as he walked in the direction of her math class. Kendall knew for a fact that Darrell's class was with Lyle in the gym – which was on the complete opposite side of the school from the math hall – but she didn't comment on it.

"I am," she admitted. "I walked to Justin's house last night and we talked. I think this will be a new start between me and Justin. We'll no longer be the "Golden Couple" but instead friends, which if I'm being honest, I'm really happy about."

Darrell smiled at her words. "Well then I'm happy for you."

They stopped in front of her math classroom. "So, you feel like getting together after school today and getting some math done?" He asked.

Kendall thought of her schedule for the day. "Yeah, that works," she said thinking it over. "I have cheer practice until 5. You wanna meet up at my house at about 5:30?"

Darrell nodded. "That works."

Before anything else could be said, the two-minute bell rang signaling for students to get to their classes. Darrell's eyes widened. "Shit!" He suddenly exclaimed. Before Kendall could even say goodbye, Darrell turned around and took off in a sprint toward the gym, almost crushing Justin in the process.

"What's with him?" Justin asked after he'd managed to side-step his friend.

"Oh, he's late for class," Kendall told him.

Justin's jaw dropped open at her words.

"What?" She asked confused by his expression.

"Darrell? Late? He's never late. Darrell is so punctual that he could make the best personal assistant in the world look late for work compared to him," he said as they took their seats in class.