Chapter Ten

Welcome back everyone! Here we are back for chapter ten. I can't believe that half of this story has been uploaded. It will be complete before I know it. Anyway I am officially back to school for the term so I am warning you that my updates may not be as common as they were before. I will try and keep up with them though. If you guys find that it's been a few weeks without an update then please comment or send me a message and I will try to get to it as soon as I can. 

Now as you can tell for this chapter I did not upload a picture. Instead I chose to upload a song. This song is "For the Love of a Daughter" by Demi Lovato. It's one of my favorite songs by her and I feel that it goes with this chapter perfectly. Let me know what you think. 

Also I am putting up a TRIGGER WARNING for this chapter. This chapter will bring up some different topics such as alcoholism and suicide so if you don't want to read it then I would suggest moving on to the next chapter. You should be able to keep up with the story well enough.

Anyway, for those of you sticking around to read it, I hope you enjoy this chapter. It is a big breakthrough for both Kendall and her father and I'm sure you will all be anxious to see where they go from here. . . 

~*~*~

Chapter Ten

Last night, Kendall showed up on Jess's doorstep and half expected her parents to slam the door in her face. They instead welcomed her in, gave her dinner, and offered to let her stay for as long as she needed. Jess was happy with the idea, and her little sister, Cynthia, didn't care. The two girls took her upstairs and helped her unpack. Kendall sat on the bed in the guest room and stared at the blank walls.

She honestly couldn't believe this happened. Her dad's drinking had always been bad, but she had never expected this. Her dad sent her text after text throughout the night. Some were raging texts, others were apology texts, and the rest were just him pleaded with her to call him back. She never did.

By the time Jess and Kendall got to school the next day, the entire town seemed to know what happened with her dad. She hadn't been pointed and whispered about this much since she and Justin broke up. That is the unfortunate downside of living in a small town. Everyone knows everyone's business, whether they like it or not.

It wasn't until lunch when Kendall's phone notified her of another text. She sighed opening it. She thought he had given up. Honestly, she hoped he had given up. Yet, that doesn't seem to be the case. Kendall expected to find another angry, apologetic, and/or pleaded text in her inbox. That wasn't the case.

I thought about what you said, and I realize that you're right. I haven't been the dad that you deserve. I should've been there for you when your mom died, and I definitely should have gotten my act together when your grandparents passed. But I didn't. I let you down and I'll never be able to forgive myself for that. I just want you to know that I'm sorry, and that I am so proud of the woman you have become. I hope that you achieve everything that you wish for. Take care of yourself, Kendall Bear. I love you.

Several things struck her as odd in the text. First of all, her dad hasn't called her Kendall Bear in years. She honestly thought he had forgotten. Second of all, from the lack of spelling mistakes, he's sober or at the very least buzzed. He's fully aware of what he is saying. Third of all, at the top of the text, was a scheduled time. Her dad had created the text and then scheduled the time that it would send automatically. So, he hadn't sent it just now. He could have sent it hours ago.

I realize you're right. . . I let you down . . . I'll never forgive myself . . . I'm sorry . . . Take care of yourself . . . I love you. . .