Chapter Thirteen

Happy All Hallows Eve!

I hope everyone has fun plans for today to celebrate the holiday. I'll either be doing homework with Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown playing in the background or my sister and brother-in-law may invite friends over so if that happens I'll probably eat some pizza, drink a little, and play Cards Against Humanity. Hopefully your plans are all more riveting then mine lol. 

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. I'm even listening to "I Put a Spell on You" as I'm uploading this haha. Anyway, to mark the occasion I figured I would upload a chapter. This one was a bit challenging I'll admit. It definitely took me a while to write. Hope you all enjoy it though! 

Have fun tonight and please be safe!

~ Kaylee

~*~*~

Chapter Thirteen

Instead of going on a date like she told Darrell, Kendall spent her evening in the guest room at Jess'. The music from her radio was playing and she was trying clean up the new routine before she presented it to the cheer squad tomorrow. Her practice was soon interrupted by the sound of her phone ringing, however. Looking at the scene, she smiled realizing that it was the rehab center.

Kendall turned off the music and answered the phone, "Hey dad."

"Hey Kendall. I haven't had a chance to check in with you in a while. I wanted to see how you're doing?"

She smiled at his concern. "I'm doing good."

"What about school? How's school going?"

"It's good, dad," Kendall said into her cellphone. "I'm just ready for the year to be done. I've been experiencing senioritis for weeks now."

He laughed at her words. "Well you only have a few weeks left right? Then you'll be graduating and moving to New York. I'm so proud of you. I can't believe you got into NYU. Your mother always dreamed of going there but was never able to."

Kendall frowned. She had never heard this before. Her grandma and grandpa told her a lot about her mom while they raised her, but they never mentioned this. "Why didn't she go?"

"Well your mother had big dreams." He sighed remembering. "The only problem is that your mother was always a homebody. She loved the small-town life. She was always a big dreamer; she just never had the courage to leave the life she knew."

"Did she ever regret it?"

"No, I know for a fact that she never did regret staying."

"How do you know?" She wondered how her mom made peace with the idea of staying. If it were her, she'd always regret giving up her dream. So, why didn't she?

"Because we had you." A lump formed in her throat. "Your mother always said that you were the best gift she had ever received. She loved you more than anything else in the world, and I know that she felt a lot of pain and sadness when she learned that she wouldn't be around to watch you grow into the beautiful and smart young woman you are today. She would be so proud of you. . ."

Tears began to form in the corner of her eyes. She brushed them away thankful that her dad couldn't see her crying right now. She cleared her throat, "Thanks dad. On a happier note, you're still coming to my graduation, right?"

There was silence on the other end of the line.

She closed her eyes preparing herself.